Nikon Patch v1.12

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Nikon Patch v1.12

Postby Simeon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Version 1.12 of the Online Patch Tool is released:
D5100 - BETA - Added support for Lossless NEF compression (Tested it works)
D5100 - DO_NOT_USE - Added support for NEF oversampling, to allow quality testing by Astro folks (DO NOT USE)
D7000 - Removed ALPHA support for NEF oversampling, as the patch didn't work
D5100, D3100 - Removed BETA status from non-brand battery support

The D5100 Lossless is back, and I tested it with more rigor this time, but I'd still run your own testes before doing production work with it.

I've removed NEF oversampling from the D7000 but add it to the D5100 and tested the patch worked also. Will follow up soon-ish with a D7000 version, but releasing the known working code first.
Simeon
Core Developer
 
Posts: 2100
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:12 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Been thanked: 398 times

Re: Nikon Patch v1.12

Postby astronomer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Great job! :clap:
User avatar
astronomer
Developer
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:06 am
Location: US
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Nikon Patch v1.12

Postby 4cc3ss » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:51 pm

Good job Simeon :techie-typing:
4cc3ss
Core Developer
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:38 am
Location: Uk
Been thanked: 175 times

Re: Nikon Patch v1.12

Postby ccshello » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:08 pm

Thank you Simeon!
Patch 1.12 (kind of) work on my D5100. I selected everything except NEF Uncompressed. I found in camera setting, I have to select RAW (not other RAW + jpg) or camera will not finish saving the file after shooting (stuck in saving file state), until battery is removed.

NEF Compressed Lossless is very nice.
Overscan / OBP area looks great.
I use RawDigger to inspect RAW pictures.

As Patcher grows more mature, my wish list is:
- defeat WB adjust such that R and B channels will not get that 1.4x multiplier, and
- do the raw sensor data out (avoid any processing)

If neither can be done by the firmware, using specialized program to push PTP commands is also fine.

Again, great work!

ccshello
ccshello
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:43 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Nikon Patch v1.12

Postby Simeon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:40 pm

Ok, pulling down RawDigger now to have a play to see if I can see "brokenness" thus know when it's "fixed". Any hints like "use the 'Are Nikon NEF files still broken?' tool" much appreciated.
Simeon
Core Developer
 
Posts: 2100
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:12 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Been thanked: 398 times

Re: Nikon Patch v1.12

Postby Simeon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:43 pm

ccshello wrote:I found in camera setting, I have to select RAW (not other RAW + jpg) or camera will not finish saving the file after shooting (stuck in saving file state), until battery is removed.


Sorry, about that, I only test/shoot Raw, and underlying functionality is for "fixing something" sensor related so it makes sense you would only want the RAW output. Basically turning overscan on is really an experiment to see if we can get better from the Nikon sensor for Astro work.
Simeon
Core Developer
 
Posts: 2100
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:12 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Been thanked: 398 times

Re: Nikon Patch v1.12

Postby astronomer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:59 pm

Simeon wrote:
ccshello wrote:I found in camera setting, I have to select RAW (not other RAW + jpg) or camera will not finish saving the file after shooting (stuck in saving file state), until battery is removed.


Sorry, about that, I only test/shoot Raw, and underlying functionality is for "fixing something" sensor related so it makes sense you would only want the RAW output. Basically turning overscan on is really an experiment to see if we can get better from the Nikon sensor for Astro work.


Hi Simeon,

Could you provide the code for libgphoto2 so I could turn both WB scaling off and overscan on ?

Thank you!
User avatar
astronomer
Developer
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:06 am
Location: US
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Nikon Patch v1.12

Postby Simeon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:00 pm

So you can see the x1.4 scale in the histogram when you turn on Log scale, as on the left side of blue/red there ares gaps, while the green is solid?
Attachments
untitled-5-2-Full-5012x3358.png
Simeon
Core Developer
 
Posts: 2100
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:12 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Been thanked: 398 times

Re: Nikon Patch v1.12

Postby ccshello » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:04 pm

Simeon wrote:Ok, pulling down RawDigger now to have a play to see if I can see "brokenness" thus know when it's "fixed". Any hints like "use the 'Are Nikon NEF files still broken?' tool" much appreciated.


I use Histogram Window, select Linear X-axis, uncheck Auto. Set range 0-100, "bin size" 1.

Then comb-shaped pattern shows.

P.S. Per developers, RawDigger 0.9.15 will fix the NEF-Uncompress overflow issue. For now, NEF-Lossless works perfectly.

ccshello
Attachments
D5100_comb.jpg
Last edited by ccshello on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ccshello
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:43 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Nikon Patch v1.12

Postby astronomer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Simeon wrote:So you can see the x1.4 scale in the histogram when you turn on Log scale, as on the left side of blue/red there ares gaps, while the green is solid?


Exactly
These gaps are due to rounding when multiplied by a scaling factor.
User avatar
astronomer
Developer
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:06 am
Location: US
Been thanked: 66 times

Next

Return to Firmware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests