D3200 Extra features

Wouldn't it be cool if we could make our camera do ________ ?
Patching issues and other general help requests here please.

D3200 Extra features

Postby woody » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:06 am

Hi, I've been checking the current features and saw that d3200 firmware doesn't support uncompressed raw files. I was wondering two things:

1 - Would uncompressed raw files provide higher quality to images? (I read in other post that technically is possible to add this feature). Meaning, is it worth the needed work? (a visual comparison, if exist, would be great)

2 - Is there any other possible hack to improve image quality of this camera? (already implemented or not).

I ask all of this because in case I can get more for my camera I would consider to help (I would need to try, don't know if my skills are enough) with development for this camera. I have thought several times on upgrading to a new one, but considering it's weight and size it's difficult to find some other with better enough IQ to justify expending the money... (I read d5x00 are not that good in comparison in this regard)

Thanks in advance
Cheers
woody

Re: D3200 Extra features

Postby Simeon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:56 am

the compression used is (mostly) lossless, so there is no gain to uncompressed, it's less CPU used, as there is the saving of doing the compression, but this is lost, on increased IO as the larger file is written.

The D5x00 and D3x00 camera's only do lossly compression, which occurs in the highlights which really don't impact much (they makes high values pair so, eg 10,001 & 10,002 become 10,002, and 10,003 & 10,004 becomes 10,004, but when twice as much light is 20,000 such a small loss has nearly no impact, but make the compression levels better)
Simeon
Core Developer

Re: D3200 Extra features

Postby woody » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:44 am

Thanks for the information Simeon! Then I think I will keep my camera as it is now :)
woody

Return to Feature Requests and Help