Question about D90 - YES I know they're old...

Wouldn't it be cool if we could make our camera do ________ ?
Patching issues and other general help requests here please.

Question about D90 - YES I know they're old...

Postby rob215x » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:29 am

Hello,

I have a question I hope someone here can help answer. I use D90s for time lapse. I have 5 of them. They're cheap, durable, have long lasting shutters, and they accept external power and shutter releases. They also consume very little power- at least SOME of them...

When battery powered, the camera will go into a standby state after a set number of seconds and draw very little power (less than 2 milliamps). You can set the number of seconds the meter stays on with custom menu setting C2.

This changes when you connect external power with a Nikon EH-5 or similar adapter. With external power connected, TWO of my D90s still go into standby mode after the number of seconds set in C2. The other 3 do not. The meter stays active and they continuously draw ~155 milliamps. This is problematic when I'm using external battery packs. Two of my D90s will run for a long time, the others will not.

They all have the one firmware update Nikon ever provided. I cannot find any settings that are different between the cameras. I've tried the same lens on all cameras, then different lenses. I've tried the same power supply and then different power supplies. Its always the same. Two of my cameras go into standby when externally powered, the other three do not. All five go into standby mode when only using the internal battery.

Does anyone have any ideas?? Is this something that can be set in firmware or is it something that's permanent, like two different versions of a board in the camera or something?

Thanks!!

Robert
rob215x

Re: Question about D90 - YES I know they're old...

Postby rob215x » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Here's some updated information about my 5 D90 cameras:

#3089711 standby does NOT WORK with external power
#3147742 standby does NOT WORK with external power
#3268931 standby does NOT WORK with external power
#3486783 standby DOES work with external power
#3576003 standby DOES work with external power

It would appear Nikon changed something between 3268931 and 3486783
rob215x

Re: Question about D90 - YES I know they're old...

Postby Simeon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:49 am

interesting/frustrating. But I have no insight sorry.
Simeon
Core Developer

Return to Feature Requests and Help