Just wanted to say Hi for the first time!

Suggestions / improvements / tech support for the forum and wiki

Just wanted to say Hi for the first time!

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:18 pm

I've been a long time lurker here on this board, maybe for the past 2-3 years now. I've never gotten around to making an account on the site but I figured why not, seems like an awesome (albeit small) community and I'd love to contribute the knowledge and experience I have on the site :) I'm a nature/event/portrait photographer who also does repair work on bodies and lenses, as well as having a lot of technical knowledge about computers

I'd love to share what I know about cameras and would also love to learn what the community/hackers have to teach me, and I look forward to actually being able to interact with site and it's community, now that I have (finally) created an account. I hope you guys accept me :text-thankyoublue:

-db
Bob

Re: Just wanted to say Hi for the first time!

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:25 pm

My my, this site is much less active than I remember it being in the past ;)
I guess it's because the supported cameras for the features hack are getting more and more outdated as newer ARM based cameras come out to replace them :think:

-db
Bob

Postby Simeon » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:44 am

And people move on, I had been decoding the ARM firmware, and was making pleasing progress, but the one feature I was thinking I wanted to add to my D750 was "better bracketing" support, because I assumed it was retarded like my D7000, but it turns out it's as good as one could hope, so there is little that I wish to change, and I really would prefer just use my camera's more...
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:06 pm

So I'm assuming that no further progress is being done on the ARM firmware? Simeon, that is totally understandable :) Bit of a disappointment, but I can't really blame you :/

How difficult is it to decode the firmware? And modify it once it is decoded? If that even makes sense - I apologize, my programming side is a bit lacking as the most I have ever really learned was a bit of Lua and IBM-BASIC from the old original IBM PCs - not much use with today's cameras I assume. Oh - and a little bit of hex editing with applications just so they could "fit my needs" ;)

So, from a standpoint of almost no knowledge of ARM based coding, how difficult would it be to learn everything from scratch, say, learn the entire process how ARM microcontrollers/processors work, their coding, and ultimately modify the firmware that is running on the cameras? I find myself a technically inclined person and a quick learner, but.. I have relatively little knowledge to the firmware that these cameras run.

Thank you:)
Bob

Return to nikonhacker.com