Nikon D5 GPS Unlock Request

Wouldn't it be cool if we could make our camera do ________ ?
Patching issues and other general help requests here please.

Nikon D5 GPS Unlock Request

Postby bmaestrini » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:56 am

I have a more or less unusual request. I bought my D5 in China. Later I found out that all cameras sold in China have GPS location disabled probably via software. I plug-in my GP-1 and it syncs perfectly but no GPS data is recorded. Not only the D5, but any Chinese camera, Nikon or not, have this issue.

I'm a photojournalist and GPS data is very important for me. (I've been logging GPS data on my phone and syncing, but that's not ideal)

I think this may be an easy fix for you guys, if you have the time. There should be something in the original firmware that identifies the camera is a Chinese model and excludes the GPS item from the setup menu not allowing you to turn it on. I believe you can verify this "feature" on any other Nikon firmware. It should be present in all recent models.

I know this is far from a priority for you guys, but I was wondering if it was easy, you guys may have a look.

Thank you!
bmaestrini

Re: Nikon D5 GPS Unlock Request

Postby bonnysky » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:22 pm

DO YOU UNLOCK IT?
bonnysky

Postby bolus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:29 am

Hi,

Have you found any solution to the problem?

I'm experiencing exactly the same thing on a D750. The official Nikon answer is, that it can't be fixed :(

Best Regards,

bolus
bolus

Postby Simeon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:54 pm

That's really strange, as they have the same firmware, so for it to not work,there must be a bit set in the profile flash/eeprom.
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby bmaestrini » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:37 am

Still haven't unlocked it. It's very frustrating. I either take my D800 with the GP-1 or sync with a phone app.

I have called Nikon as well. In China, they say "there is no GPS in this camera". It's like a standard answer.

I have called Nikon Spain, where I am now, and they had no clue that Chinese cameras had this disabled. I don't think this can be done through official channels.

And yes, the firmware is the same and I recently did an update, but still, no GPS. So there is something in the code that identifies this as a Chinese model and just doesn't allow me to turn it on.

Hopefully it's not hardware.
bmaestrini

Postby bmaestrini » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:18 am

Two years later, still no fix. Anyone?
bmaestrini

Postby Simeon » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:13 pm

I agree it's an interesting problem, and yet it's not interesting enough for someone to spend the week+ effort to track done and fix. I am sorry this does not fit with your exceptions of how others should spend their time.
Simeon
Core Developer

Return to Feature Requests and Help