Edit firmware D3300

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Re: Edit firmware D3300

Postby StrikerEureka-_ » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:27 am

alextheloser168 wrote:Hey guys. Is it possible to update the camera while being on the official 1.02 firmware?

If I'm understanding this correctly, you actually HAVE to update the official firmware before you can upload the patch. After you've done that successfully, remove it off your memory card.
StrikerEureka-_

Postby StrikerEureka-_ » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:24 am

Simeon wrote:thanks for the picture they really helped, rename the file from patched_D3300_0102.bin to just D3300_0102.bin, the file needs to be named how it was to match the search the camera uses.

I uploaded everything successfully, but I hardly noticed any difference. I tried using multiple video settings, but haven't noticed any improvements :/ Maybe I'm doing something wrong again?
StrikerEureka-_

Postby Simeon » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:32 pm

StrikerEureka-_ wrote:
alextheloser168 wrote:Hey guys. Is it possible to update the camera while being on the official 1.02 firmware?

If I'm understanding this correctly, you actually HAVE to update the official firmware before you can upload the patch. After you've done that successfully, remove it off your memory card.

That is not correct. Nikon firmware bundles are self contained release. You can move form any release to any release (there are some exceptions to this rule.) The process of patching you full firmware, is itself still a full firmware, it's just been patched. Thus you can be on 1.01 (patch 1.03 on the tool) and then load that 1.03*, you could also go back to 1.01 (if you have it)..
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby StrikerEureka-_ » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 am

Simeon wrote:
StrikerEureka-_ wrote:

That is not correct. Nikon firmware bundles are self contained release. You can move form any release to any release (there are some exceptions to this rule.) The process of patching you full firmware, is itself still a full firmware, it's just been patched. Thus you can be on 1.01 (patch 1.03 on the tool) and then load that 1.03*, you could also go back to 1.01 (if you have it)..

My bad, my bad.

By chance, did you read my other issue? </3
StrikerEureka-_

Postby StrikerEureka-_ » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:55 am

Sorry for all the questions. I know you guys have your own lives and responsibilities. It may not be working for me right now, but I'm appreciative that you folks did any work at all for this patch to be available. Thanks again.
StrikerEureka-_

Postby Simeon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:13 pm

StrikerEureka-_ wrote:My bad, my bad.

No probs

StrikerEureka-_ wrote:By chance, did you read my other issue? </3

I have read all posts, but I ether didn't see your question as an answerable question, or didn't see it as a question. So ask again...
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby StrikerEureka-_ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:40 am

Simeon wrote:
StrikerEureka-_ wrote:My bad, my bad.

No probs

StrikerEureka-_ wrote:By chance, did you read my other issue? </3

I have read all posts, but I ether didn't see your question as an answerable question, or didn't see it as a question. So ask again...

Okay, I'll try my best loll.

After successfully (with your help) uploading the firmware to my camera, I can see that there are new video recording options, but when I'm actually recording, the mbps is no higher than 29. Is this something that has been known to happen? And if it is, is there something I can do to correct the firmware or better utilize it, so that I can achieve 64mbps or a quality closer to that?

I'm not sure if it matters what specific settings my camera must be on, or if it must be set up a specific way. Is there something I might be missing?

I hope that was clear enough, sorry again. I'm getting ready to photograph/video my brother in law's wedding and I would love to pump out a crisp 64mbps to give them the best quality I can achieve. Let me know if there are any other details I can provide for you. Thanks again!
StrikerEureka-_

Postby Simeon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:34 pm

Ah, right, well the newer camera use VBR bitrates, so only use the bitrate needed to encode the scene, (within the constraints of the hardware chip). Which means that if you hold the camera still and point at a static image, it just doesn't need much to encoded that, where-as the old (like D5100 or D7000) would be CBR and thus consume the set rate,...

This can be seen if you have footage that is much more dynamic, a higher bitrate will be used.. where-as prior to the patch you camera would limit static to 24mbps and highly dynamic footage also to 24mbps..
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby alextheloser168 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:31 am

Hey guys, so I managed to update my 3300 to the patched 1.02 firmware but I rolled back to the official one because of the loss in recording time. Is it possible to extend the recording time? I don't mind losing a bit of image or bitrate quality to have more recording time.
alextheloser168

Previous

Return to Firmware