how to do d5100 video hack

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

how to do d5100 video hack

Postby johnabdn » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:28 pm

Hi,

I'd like to control exposure on my d5100 and remove the time restriction, but I have no idea how to do it at where to find the firmware download. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,
John.
johnabdn

Re: how to do d5100 video hack

Postby REALab » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:30 pm

First, download Microsoft Silverlight —
https://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/

Then, download the latest firmware for the D5100 —
http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/20.html (or backup the firmware already in your D5100 to an SD card, then transfer it to your computer)
— and place it on your desktop or someplace else where you can easily point to it.

Then, go here: http://simeonpilgrim.com/nikon-patch/nikon-patch.html.
It will allow you to choose any or all of the current patch options you'd like to apply to your firmware.

Once you've patched the patched the firmware file, put it on a fresh SD card, and insert that card into your D5100.

Power up the camera and select "Upgrade firmware".

Once the update is complete, shut off the camera, then power it back up.

That's it! You're all set.
REALab

Postby tranedepriest » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:23 am

I've used the hack to remove the time limitation and to provide "clean HDMI" for use in OBS. However, now the camera will not playback the videos I capture to the SD card. If I'm out on a location shoot, not HDMI connected to my OBS box, just snapping pics and video of an event... I'm unable to playback the video on-camera to confirm I "got the shot" or make sure the video and audio were good. Is there a particular setting in the hack that should be "enabled" to get back this basic function?
tranedepriest

Postby Simeon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:24 pm

tranedepriest wrote:I've used the hack to remove the time limitation and to provide "clean HDMI" for use in OBS. However, now the camera will not playback the videos I capture to the SD card. If I'm out on a location shoot, not HDMI connected to my OBS box, just snapping pics and video of an event... I'm unable to playback the video on-camera to confirm I "got the shot" or make sure the video and audio were good. Is there a particular setting in the hack that should be "enabled" to get back this basic function?

The camera cannot playback the video, because the bitrate is higher than the playback branch is rated for, so it refuses to play the video. You ether have to play the video on an external device (like PC) or record at a lower bitrate.
Simeon
Core Developer

Return to Firmware