Force firmware update

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Force firmware update

Postby clueless1 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:48 am

Hello I am new to this forum and need some help or maybe just need to be pointed in the right direction. I had recently purchased a D3100 for repair, found a bad dc/dc power card, and replaced it, now the camera powers up, but the display “says this battery cannot be used, choose battery designated for this camera”. I had even gone as far as purchasing a Nikon battery from an authorized distributor $45.00 no wonders Nikon did the new firmware thing, still have the same issue. Someone had mentioned updating the firmware, can I use the new Nikon firmware update that is online A: 1.02, B: 1.01? I can’t get past battery screen, how do I force the update? Thanks for your help.
clueless1

Re: Force firmware update

Postby Simeon » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Basically this will happen if the chat between the primary A CPU and the battery are not good, then the A CPU tell the B CPU battery invlaid, which throws up the UI you describe.

The new firmware for new batteries, was to get around the fact the newer batteries output lower voltage. The percentage power left is derived based off the voltage, as the battery "goes flat" it's voltage drops. The the new batteries appear flat when they are full. This is a two fold issue because the camera will work for less time, and with "low" battery the firmware will not update.

Given you new Nikon battery is reporting as bad, makes me think that ether a wire is broken somewhere thus breaking the comms, or a solider is to think/thin thus also interfering. Thus it might be a wire issue on the power board you replaced, or possible on the main board also.

I hope this all helps you track the issue down, and understand the nature of that error message.

p.s. questions about the firmware go in the firmware section, not the showcase section.
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby BuraX » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:58 am

I know this post is very old, but has anyone been able to solve this by chance?
I'm thinking about getting my hands on a ac power adaptor for D3100 and using that to update the firmware that bypasses the battery auth. Is there a possibility of that working?
BuraX

Postby Simeon » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:30 pm

We generally advise not applying firmware updates via the ac power adapter, as one bump away from a bricked camera.
Simeon
Core Developer

Return to Firmware