Any plans for new features

Suggestions / improvements / tech support for the forum and wiki

Any plans for new features

Postby JackMurdock » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:05 pm

Focus peaking? Live histogram? Whats the plan guys?
JackMurdock

Re: Any plans for new features

Postby skiibojosh » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:13 am

Well, this is all run by guys doing this in their spare time. Most of these guys just love programming and love Nikons. Those features are most likely in the feature request section. However there are many feature requests, for many cameras, and very few people proficient enough in programming. You can always help them out by donating, unless you are able to program. There really is no *exceedingly clear* way for you to know what is being worked on, outside of following along with the blog (what's recent and popular). To my knowledge, one of the major focuses right now is RAW video for the D5100. The pacing isn't going to be predictable; it's more of a fun journey! Hope this helps.
skiibojosh

Postby JackMurdock » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:23 pm

Its just that there seems to be a lot of work for the d5100 and other low end cameras while us d600 users are left out. Video bitrates are awesome and i bet they will help lots with editing, etc but it would be nice to see something else. Awhile back i saw focus peaking mentioned. that would be amazing. :handgestures-thumbupleft: More exposure tools would really be neat too. There hasnt been a new patch in almost 2 months.
JackMurdock

Postby Simeon » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:54 pm

I think you have the output of our efforts confused with our intentions.

I have updated the FAQ I think the last three point should cover your key questions wiki/Patching_FAQ
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby JackMurdock » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:27 pm

I mean, what is the goal of the project? The front page says "dedicated to the improvement of dslrs" yet it seems like there is no direction. that can be kind of confusing, dude. :twocents-02cents: I remember seeing the focus peaking code somewhere around awhile back. That would make for an amazing new release. ;)
JackMurdock

Postby Simeon » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:22 pm

JackMurdock wrote:I mean, what is the goal of the project? The front page says "dedicated to the improvement of dslrs" yet it seems like there is no direction. that can be kind of confusing, dude.

Can I reflect that back at you?
"what is the goal of your life, I'm confused, I don't see a plan, and you don't seem to be doing what I want"

You might answer that your not beholden to me, and I would think that same in return. We are a group of people trying to understand tricky stuff, and make it better if we can.

Is there other projects blazing insane trails? Yes,
Do the have more people? Maybe yes
Do they know more about there system? Yes
Is it easy to compare because they are both just camera's? Yes, but they are different.
Does comparing help? No
Does saying go faster help? No
Does saying 'I can think of cool stuff' help? No
What does help? Smart people, and information, and present we have some smart people trying to discover information, and it's slow.
Should we change to project to "Nikon very slowly trying to understand stuff project, just go use your camera as it is and be happy or swap to Canon" yes
Should we stop? At time it would be easier than answering the same questions again & again & again.
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby astronomer » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:24 pm

JackMurdock wrote:I mean, what is the goal of the project? The front page says "dedicated to the improvement of dslrs" yet it seems like there is no direction.

I'm not sure if you saw leegong's recent HDMI hack on D5100 and my dark current tool being ported to all the 3rd gen cameras. Those are the steps and dedication we made everyday. Maybe I should update the front page. But given you asked these type of question regularly, I doubt you haven't seen those.

The direction is very clear. Leegong is interested in all video related stuff while I'm most interested in improving it for astronomy and scientific use, and camera hardware. Simeon is working on D7100 as recent cameras switched to ARM based CPU so all the basis work has to be done before any meaningful functional patch can be implemented or ported.

However, we can only dedicate to this project during some of our free time when we feel happy and rewarding. This is clearly written in FAQ by Simeon and others already. And too be honest, seeing request daily really brought me more frustration than happiness.

So to be really helpful, you'd better start learning low level programming language like C/C++ and how CPU works. Start appreciate the complex nature of the camera system and reverse engineering. Or start digging relevant technical documents and information.

JackMurdock wrote: that can be kind of confusing, dude. :twocents-02cents: I remember seeing the focus peaking code somewhere around awhile back. That would make for an amazing new release. ;)

If you really want a technical explanation, sure here it is. The post I found only points to a routine, it's not even realized in a programming language like C. Even if it is, you still have to figure out how to compile the code into assembly, and how to load into camera, where is an empty place to execute the code. During the process you might brick tons of cameras if lack a way to recover.

Normally I wouldn't even reply to the post. But given I had just verified it's working on D3X, I was happy today to spend 15 minutes to write this reply.
astronomer
Developer

Postby larssteenhoff » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:26 am

the progress already made is awesome! I'm very happy with the bitrate hacks and hdmi work is very much appreciated!
larssteenhoff

Postby Silversurfer_GER » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Hi.

I have a few suggestions.

- Automatic restart after timeout record.
- 1/25s in movie mode (24p / 25p) → 1/3 stops better in low light. Standard is 1/30
- Manuel white balance control (Photo & Video)
- Focus Peaking (Photo & Video)
- Bulb Timer in photo mode (display of time how long the exposure is running)
Silversurfer_GER

THANK YOU & ALL THOSE wo invested hrs of time- SINCERELY

Postby Lifegiant » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:40 am

ThankYou REALLY ThankYou Simeon and ALL the dedicated members,working on dvlpmt in their; 'any and all free time', ( Like when others are sleeping) as a veteran Nikon user ThankYou Tremendously. I think too many don't 'quite' understand A. How mind blowingly hard much of the initial success, and ongoing progress IS B. I feel that some don't really understand the- direction -You and those who truly support,+emulate your thoughts, are going. I Rarely if ever say anything, but I was part of Magic lantern's forum and community, from the stand point of PURE KNOWLEDGE. I bought and tested patches on a T3/D1100, which in the end was a kick ass system. However to compare, for those less enthusiastic about code etc know, what Nikon Hacker is accomplishing, really blows away ML, in the areas of focus that they break through. Every version of ML had a warning marker on changing bit rate, & a few other crucial places that seem to draw the curious.You guys ht that out of the park. I can't write code, I'm nearly at a meltdown just getting a version of NH into my camera, but if at any time in the future, as it seems you've got things tight here, but if you ever again need a D7000, or a D3 feature tester, or a D2HS, I have no problem with the risk's, and will gladly sacrifice. I do, AI conversions and full cpu Lens Chipping. The kind that allows FULL 3dMatrix metering,+ full camera aperture operation,on older manual focus lenses. Also I can add trap focus, so if anyone needs anything that deals with that inbox me I'm glad to help. I have a whs. partner for Chips just so ya know. Thanx again!! mike
Lifegiant

Return to nikonhacker.com