Getting RAW Video

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Re: Getting RAW Video

Postby matoomba » Mon May 23, 2016 12:20 am

hamed wrote:Still hope to see the raw video hack!
agree with that 12bit is the best, but 10bit raw also is way better than the highly compressed 8bit video.

dear Nikonhacker guys! you have worked very hard on this and we appreciate your work and its not important if the raw video is not 12bit
you are AWESOME!

+1 we are still hope and waiting :beer:
matoomba

Postby Morente » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:55 am

in my opinion 10 bit raw is EXACTLY all an indie/budget filmmaker would need in terms of color depth... the exact sweet spot... it's adequate for working in rec.2020 color space and provides great color-grading flexiblity... on the other hand it still keeps the file size smaller and the workflow simpler while having unique features of raw like applying gamma curves and better exposure tinkering in post... and it is way easier for sd cards to handle the data...

i think 12 bit raw is something feasible only for pro studios and 10bit workflow is becoming more of a future standard for tight budget filmmaking (thanks to 10 bit monitors becoming more affordable and standard everyday)

actually as a bmpcc shooter i rarely needed anything other than 10 bit proress422 hq but sometimes i wished to have the 10bit video while having some of the raw capabalities and flexiblities... so the 10bit raw is the the ultimate solution...
Morente

Postby Millenial88 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:33 am

I can see it now - a hacked d5100 w/ 10-bit RAW video paired with Cinelog-C transformed into S-log3 or RedLog. I'm gonna get so much more mileage out of my camera!
Millenial88

Postby sensi277 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:18 pm

Millenial88 wrote:I can see it now - a hacked d5100 w/ 10-bit RAW video paired with Cinelog-C transformed into S-log3 or RedLog. I'm gonna get so much more mileage out of my camera!

Don't get too excited yet. Remember that there's no guarantee that any of this will ever amount to anything useful. Right now, all we have are theoretical possibilities. We don't yet have any way to save so much data to an SD card, nor do we have a way to maintain live view output (this means external monitors too) while RAW is being processed. So many things are in the way right now, and nothing's even close to being absolute.

These people have done some amazing things for the community, but we all have to keep in mind that they are people just like us. People with lives and commitments. People who aren't perfect. A day might come where it is discovered that there is no way to make RAW video work on the D5100.

Don't get me wrong, as a videographer using the D5100 as my main camera, I would be extremely happy if it ever became possible to get RAW video out of the D5100. But we shouldn't get out hopes up. For right now, all we can count on is the hard work of the great people who work on this project. For all of us. Because it's fun. Because it's a hobby. Because, above all, we believe that anyone should be able to get the most out of their camera. Even if that camera is a cheap, barely workable D5100.
sensi277

Postby Millenial88 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:32 am

sensi277 wrote:
Millenial88 wrote:I can see it now - a hacked d5100 w/ 10-bit RAW video paired with Cinelog-C transformed into S-log3 or RedLog. I'm gonna get so much more mileage out of my camera!

Don't get too excited yet. Remember that there's no guarantee that any of this will ever amount to anything useful. Right now, all we have are theoretical possibilities. We don't yet have any way to save so much data to an SD card, nor do we have a way to maintain live view output (this means external monitors too) while RAW is being processed. So many things are in the way right now, and nothing's even close to being absolute.

These people have done some amazing things for the community, but we all have to keep in mind that they are people just like us. People with lives and commitments. People who aren't perfect. A day might come where it is discovered that there is no way to make RAW video work on the D5100.

Don't get me wrong, as a videographer using the D5100 as my main camera, I would be extremely happy if it ever became possible to get RAW video out of the D5100. But we shouldn't get out hopes up. For right now, all we can count on is the hard work of the great people who work on this project. For all of us. Because it's fun. Because it's a hobby. Because, above all, we believe that anyone should be able to get the most out of their camera. Even if that camera is a cheap, barely workable D5100.

Whatever the case may be, it's the effort that gets me psyched. The fact that there are people who are working towards something this awesome for all us filmmakers & videographers on a budget who love expanding their creativity is admirable. I have faith that this is going to turn out very well for us, yet the fact that they're aiming to pull out RAW video on an admittedly dinky entry-level D5100 is good enough for me regardless of outcome.

And, hey, I can just get a used 5d Mark II if it doesn't happen.
Millenial88

Postby hamed » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:42 pm

Millenial88 wrote:
sensi277 wrote:

Whatever the case may be, it's the effort that gets me psyched. The fact that there are people who are working towards something this awesome for all us filmmakers & videographers on a budget who love expanding their creativity is admirable. I have faith that this is going to turn out very well for us, yet the fact that they're aiming to pull out RAW video on an admittedly dinky entry-level D5100 is good enough for me regardless of outcome.

And, hey, I can just get a used 5d Mark II if it doesn't happen.

it seems that this thread is obsolete
during the past year there were very interesting and breath taking news in this subject but it seems that the tries to get raw video was not completely successful. i think it's a hardware limitation. guys in the nikonhacker team (specially "leegong") have done their best to do that and the nikon community is grateful for their effort. we know that they might be very busy and spending a lot of time working on this project costs them a lot!

and final note: Nikon! Go to HELL!!
you are not a company like Canon which has cinema cameras in their products. why don't you hear the voice of indie film makers like us! we know that you have the knowledge to make cameras with better features.
hamed

Postby hamed » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:41 am

Hello!

just a question!!!
is this project dead?!
hamed

Postby spieriz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:59 am

im afraid so. no more updates from 2015 :(
spieriz

Previous