Getting RAW Video

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Re: Getting RAW Video

Postby leegong » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:38 am

New progress :
Now i 'm able to dump LV RAW whitout changing(patching) registers setting of chip4000 and chip 4001 , Liveview
video is displayed on LCD screen while dumping LV RAW , the new issue is :
after i insert patch which dumps LV RAW , camera exits Liveview mode automatically after one LV RAW frame is dumped ,
if no dumping code which read LV RAW frame struc_79 , then camera doesn't exit LV mode .
Highlight overflow in LV dumping file doesn't disappear , but LV displaying on camera LCD screen looks normal.
Attachments
LV_RAW.png
LV__0001.rar
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 148 times
LV__0000.rar
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 119 times
leegong
Core Developer

Postby leegong » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

The latest progress :
Dumping LV raw frames (12bits 1664x1100) consecutively is ok while LV video is displayed on camera LCD screen ,
but the new issue is that LV AE controlling is wrong , LV video displayed on camera screen is always much more brighter
or darker than normal exposure level .
It's weird that LV AE controlling becomes abnormal once my patch reads mem of LV raw frame , if no reaing on LV RAW mem ,
then LV AE is good .
Now the key pointer is to understand how LV AE works then hack it .
leegong
Core Developer

Postby nikkor » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:01 pm

What happens in Manual Mode? How many frames does it write? Is it continuous? Why are you so awesome?
The d800 has a movie mode where you are totally free from AE if you set the camera to M.
nikkor

Postby leegong » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:38 am

Hi nikkor , Hi all ,
I tested the patch in manual mode , RAW video frames dumped are continous , more than 100 RAW files are stored on SD card within
just several seconds , in total more than 400 Mbytes size .
the most important , video stream pictures are displayed on LCD screen while dumping , meaning the patch becomes practical .
However the patch isn't perfect at all :
1) I have to combined LV RAW patch with LV manual controlling patch , adjust LV shutter speed manually for normal exposure level on LCD displaying .
2) The current patch starts recording LV RAW once Liveview mode is activated , i'm going to add extra codes so that it could be started/stopped
upon specific button pressing .
3) The progress benefit from my guessing of LV RAW backdoor inside firmware ,
but the backdoor doesn't work 100% same as i expected/guessed before ,according to code behaviour and code logic that i understand,
i think/guess the backdoor should compress LV RAW frame at first then store it on SD card , but they doesn't work now ,
i have to insert my patch to dump source data for compressing that i think/guess, since my dumping is right LV RAW , why compressing and storing don't work is still mess to me .
leegong
Core Developer

Postby Diegoureva12 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:46 am

then this is good news ? :)
Diegoureva12

Postby matoomba » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:27 am

i think it a good news)
closer to video raw))
thanks leegong)))
matoomba

Postby derWalter » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:49 am

omg, sooo nice, do you have a releasedate in mind?

:romance-hearteyes:
derWalter

Postby leegong » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:03 pm

derWalter wrote:omg, sooo nice, do you have a releasedate in mind?

Sorry , no release date yet , because AE controlling for raw video is umcorrect now , i have to hack it ,
leegong
Core Developer

Postby hamed » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:55 am

derWalter wrote:omg, sooo nice, do you have a releasedate in mind?

:romance-hearteyes:

I think there is at least two main issues that should be addressed to have a complete raw hack:
First: as leegong has said the AE contol

Second: storing the raw data. the raw video data rate I think is more than 75 MB/s that is beyond the capability of all Nikon cameras (except d800 and d810). so you can shoot only a few second raw video. I think there is two solutions:
1: compressing the raw video. I dont know how much it is practical but as leegong has said it is possible to use NEF workflow (or other in camera workflows) for compressing the raw video frames. for shooting raw continuously the data rate should be decreased to something around 50-70 MB/s. I dont know the possibility of this solution because the raw compression is an intensive process and generates a lot of heat!! and maybe is not safe for shooting raw video in long times using this solution.

2: Dual-card storing: I think it is more practical. specially for long time recordings. but only applies to more professional models with two card slots. in this solution the odd frames of raw video stores on slot 1 and the even frames on slot 2. it doubles the speed.

But I think leegong has passed the hardest part of the raw video hack!!
Thank you leegong for your exceptional and fantastic work
hamed

Postby derWalter » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:26 pm

I think there is at least two main issues that should be addressed to have a complete raw hack:
First: as leegong has said the AE contol
[/quote]
i am fine with manual only, as long as i have preview and rec start stop option :)

hamed wrote:Second: storing the raw data. the raw video data rate I think is more than 75 MB/s that is beyond the capability of all Nikon cameras (except d800 and d810).

it is totally fine to release a hack for one camera model first and then port it to others,
istn it? (i personally own a d800 and would love to use it!!!!)

hamed wrote:1: compressing the raw video. I dont know how much it is practical but as leegong has said it is possible to use NEF workflow (or other in camera workflows) for compressing the raw video frames. for shooting raw continuously the data rate should be decreased to something around 50-70 MB/s. I dont know the possibility of this solution because the raw compression is an intensive process and generates a lot of heat!! and maybe is not safe for shooting raw video in long times using this solution.

as the heat is generated at the according fpga or processor (eg expeed) and not at the sensor...
or do you mean the other parts could overheat and be damaged as well?
we should try it out :)!

hamed wrote:2: Dual-card storing: I think it is more practical. specially for long time recordings. but only applies to more professional models with two card slots. in this solution the odd frames of raw video stores on slot 1 and the even frames on slot 2. it doubles the speed.

well,... what ever works!

hamed wrote:But I think leegong has passed the hardest part of the raw video hack!!
Thank you leegong for your exceptional and fantastic work

:text-yeahthat: :text-yeahthat: :text-yeahthat: :text-yeahthat: :text-yeahthat: :text-yeahthat: :text-yeahthat: :text-yeahthat:
:handgestures-thumbupleft: :clap: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :dance: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :clap: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :dance: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :clap: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :dance: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :clap: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
:text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyoublue:
derWalter

PreviousNext

Return to Firmware