Dark Current Enable Tool

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Re: Dark Current Enable Tool

Postby D80 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:16 am

But I do not think I am using the metering system when I do astrophotography? I use Maxim DL to connect to my D600 camera and it works very good. But this hack could do the raw fits files to be cleaner if I have understand this correct? I save my images directly on the computers hard drive.

Man thanks for this hack btw!!!!!!
:text-thankyoublue: :text-+1:
D80

Postby astronomer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:24 am

astronomer
Developer

Postby Silverwolf » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:40 am

Thank you for such a useful astro-mod Astronomer. I am going to try out this on my D3200 and report back. I wonder if temperature ranges will have any effect as well? Should try exposing in my freezer to compare :)
Silverwolf

Postby D80 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:37 am

Hello

Yes the D600 is capable to do longer exposures then 30 sek in only USB tether mode. I use 3 seconds mirror prefire and quiet mirror mode, it works perfectly. I have taken this image with my D600. You need at least Maxim DL 5.24 and the special extra Nikon plugin from Cyanogen.

http://www.astronet.se/medium/m_3228.jpg

But I still do not really know what this dark current eneble tool is, does it prevent the "star eater" to get active?
D80

Postby astronomer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:44 am

astronomer
Developer

Postby Silverwolf » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:51 pm

Silverwolf

Postby max » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:37 pm

EDIT: D600 tested w/ newer version
max
Site Admin

Postby Oknoder » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:33 am

Astro,
I downloaded and installed the true dark script to try out with the D800e&810 and the embedded patch for the D7000. I have not tried it yet for the D7k or 810 but played with it on the D800e and I must say I am stunned. I am not sure what I was expecting but it far exceeded anything I have come across as of yet. I took 2min subs starting at ISO 50 all the way up to 25600 given the ambient temp inside the house is roughly 68f the noise in the HI-2 was what I normally see in the range of 400-800 which is practically nothing. Only noticeable when pixel peeking.

Previously anything approaching 10 minutes was completely unusable because of the noise far outweighed the signal. I am going to be running trials approaching 30 minutes today. Which I am thinking will be about my limits, without being cooled. I cannot claim to know how any of this script is actually working all I do know is this is the reason I have been checking back on this site for the last year or so. Now all that is left is to debayer the sensor, strip off all the excess and properly cool it, then I believe it will easily compete with some of the scientific instruments of similar size.

I do have a couple of questions though, just to see if I understand what is going on properly. With this patch/program once I tether my camera to my PC and load the script onto the camera's rom, it no longer needs to be tethered, at least until the camera goes to sleep or is shut off, which is why you suggest extending the meter shut off time to keep this from happening. This is because it is not actually injected into the firmware but resides in the rom of the camera, which is flushed when the camera hibernates/sleeps or powers down correct? Or does the script exist only in the PC so the camera needs to be kept tethered when in use. Hmm I wonder if I can write a script to start this patch whenever the PC syncs with the camera, probably not worth the effort though

Kudos guys, I do have to say I had no interest in the video mods that have been done since I have never used any of my DSLRs for video, but I do understand the very high demand for it. You guys have done an increasingly great job doing what many have no clue how to implement. I see a lot of people posting on here begging for certain features or to have their camera supported, and so often I have wanted to answer that they should get to work then and share with the rest of us when they figure it out.

Best of luck in your endeavors guys
Oknoder
Oknoder

Postby Silverwolf » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:07 am

Still no luck in firing the tool up here. Could use some help please :)
Silverwolf

Postby astronomer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:13 pm

astronomer
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Firmware