D750 Feature Requests

Wouldn't it be cool if we could make our camera do ________ ?
Patching issues and other general help requests here please.

Re: D750 Feature Requests

Postby Ovodovich » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:28 pm

RRRoger wrote:I don't record internally while recording externally.
The camera has to be in live view video mode to record "unlimited" both sound and movies on the external recorder.

But this is only possible with the firmware?
Ovodovich

Postby Fried Crispy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:57 pm

I looked at the D750 at Best Buy the other day and specifically sought after an answer as to whether or not Nikon had a truly manual, Manual setting, on its newer and higher-end cameras. It doesn't; it changed its aperture and shutter speed, when turned from dim to bright areas. What a shame. I was thinking I wanted a D800 or a D810, but I suspect they contain the same falsities when displaying the readings on Manual.

I would think something like that would delay or even damage someone's efforts to learn their skill. I mean the camera actually LIES through the readings on the display when it is doing its little shutter-speed dance on manual. They won't even place the articulated LCD screen on any other camera.

I just ordered an old non-AI 58cm F1.4 to give my hacked D5100 the same image as a full frame on an 85mm lens F1.4. I'll be sticking to my hacked D5100 fro a while.
That company should be thankful for what is being done here.

Sorry for the post, but no one else in my life understands.
Fried Crispy

Postby Simeon » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:43 pm

Fried Crispy wrote:I looked at the D750 at Best Buy the other day and specifically sought after an answer as to whether or not Nikon had a truly manual, Manual setting, on its newer and higher-end cameras. It doesn't; it changed its aperture and shutter speed, when turned from dim to bright areas. What a shame. I was thinking I wanted a D800 or a D810, but I suspect they contain the same falsities when displaying the readings on Manual.

I don't follow what you describing you see, is this in movie mode or still photo mode? I shoot manual all the time (on my D7000) and it's rock solid where I left last, much to my detriment sometimes, when trying to capture a snapshot next time..

I have been thinking about getting the D750 also. The 16MB D5100/D7000 sensor has higher pixel density, but I still long for the lush bokeh
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby Fried Crispy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:39 pm

I had it set in "M", and switched it to live view. When pointed at the Best Buy interior walls the camera's image on the LCD brightened up. When I panned it to the bright doorways with daylight powering through the glass doors, the brightness in the LCD's live view made its adjustment to dim the image to facilitate the image for the outside bright daylight. Back and forth a few times on "M" without touching any buttons, it continued that behavior. As far as I know, the hacked D5100 is now the only true Manual. I had heard that one had to buy the D7000 bigger brother if one wanted the "M", as it supposedly had true Manual. I've never tested the D7000 though. Now, I will be looking to test the D800 and 810 to see if they display that same behavior.

I've purchased a few older, fast, non-AI Nippon, Kogaku Nikkor prime lenses to mimic the full-frame images, 58mm equalling the desired full-frame portrait lens of 85 mm, the 35 equalling (roughly) the 50 mm.
I think your hack on the D5100, with these lenses will give me a picture comparable to the full-frame. I also get to shoot using the sweet-spot of these lenses with zero threat of vignetting. I still want a full-frame though.
Fried Crispy

Postby viru » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:07 am

Ovodovich wrote:
RRRoger wrote:I don't record internally while recording externally.
The camera has to be in live view video mode to record "unlimited" both sound and movies on the external recorder.

But this is only possible with the firmware?

No. External recording means that you connect recorder to HDMI, set camera to live mode (HDMI stream starts now) and you press Record button on your recorder. You don't have to press Record on your camera.
viru

Postby Joe_Shmoe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Fried Crispy wrote:I had it set in "M", and switched it to live view. When pointed at the Best Buy interior walls the camera's image on the LCD brightened up. When I panned it to the bright doorways with daylight powering through the glass doors, the brightness in the LCD's live view made its adjustment to dim the image to facilitate the image for the outside bright daylight. Back and forth a few times on "M" without touching any buttons, it continued that behavior. As far as I know, the hacked D5100 is now the only true Manual. I had heard that one had to buy the D7000 bigger brother if one wanted the "M", as it supposedly had true Manual. I've never tested the D7000 though. Now, I will be looking to test the D800 and 810 to see if they display that same behavior.

I created an account just to reply to this (a year later I know). "M" mode on this generation of Nikon DSLRs doesn't turn off the Auto ISO setting. If you'd turned off auto ISO (either through the front dial or the menu), you'd have seen your desired "full manual" look.
Joe_Shmoe

Postby Dabarounn » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:23 pm

Nikon's D750 supports HDMI "out".
TC40 supports HD Component "in".
So it looks like I will need to convert HDMI into Component (with audio) in order to get the TC40 to recognize the Nikon D750.

If any of you have experience doing this, I would appreciate some recommendations on how you did this. Which company makes a good device to accomplish this?

What about cabling? Does the HDMI cable from the Nikon handle the audio leg too and the conversion box splits out the component video BNC's along with audio (left & right) via RCA jacks?

Right now, I only need a distance of ~50 feet for each camera.

Nikon D750 sends 1080p (60p or 50p or 30p or 25p or 24p). From what I can tell in the Nikon specs, it does not send 1080i.

Thanks in advance.
Dabarounn

Previous

Return to Feature Requests and Help