D5100 Feature Requests

Wouldn't it be cool if we could make our camera do ________ ?
Patching issues and other general help requests here please.

Re: D5100 Feature Requests

Postby sensi277 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:35 pm

Fried Crispy wrote:My video editing software does what you are talking about, where you can film something and then select only 1 out of every 30 or 50 frames and produce what looks like a time lapse. The editing program handles HD @ 1920 x 1080 and it's called Avid Studio. It's been reproduced by this time and improved upon, but the point is that the video editing software can give you that feature.

I had concerns about the massive amount of age I was putting on my cameras with time lapse. I was getting 500 to 1,000 actuations per sequence and put 3,000 on in one week, so I weight the option now knowing that the software will supply an alternative.

The original poster of this feature request probably knew about this functionality available in many video editing softwares, but didn't want to have to deal with the insane file sizes(not to mention recording time limits) associated with recording 30fps video for hours or even days on end. What he is talking about is a solution where instead of selecting one of every couple dozen frames (wasting 95% of the frames recorded, resulting in unnecessary file sizes), the camera would only record one frame every, say, half a second instead of every 32ms. This would eliminate many of the problems with file sizes.

The camera wouldn't even have to have the file recorded be 30fps, with playback being faster than real-time. Instead, the file would only be 2fps, resulting in a file that can be watched natively in real time.
sensi277

Postby Fried Crispy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:09 pm

I never considered a few days of time-lapse, those would be unnecessarily large files. Thanks for the correction.
Last edited by Fried Crispy on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fried Crispy

Postby Herra Kuulapaa » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:57 am

Fried Crispy wrote:I had concerns about the massive amount of age I was putting on my cameras with time lapse. I was getting 500 to 1,000 actuations per sequence and put 3,000 on in one week, so I weigh the option now knowing that the software will supply an alternative.

Heh, I have a "stress test D5100 body" I'm using in solar imaging and other experimental stuff meaning taking maybe several thousand images per session. I haven't checked the count lately, but it was over 90k actuations before summer. And I have taken several series since then. Actually took 1500 shots today too and it's still going strong.

What I'm trying to say is that tested 100k shots is a lot and getting to it takes some real effort. And addition to that I have old D70 with 140k clicks ;)
Herra Kuulapaa

Postby Fried Crispy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:18 pm

Will aiming your camera at the sun damage anything during time-lapse or otherwise?
Fried Crispy

Postby Mileage » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:00 am

Yeah, software probably is the better way to go. What I've also learned since then is that even if you could keep the sensor open and running, without taking frames, it might lead to overheating problems.

One suggestion from a fellow photographer friend was to just take the snaps in intervals. Although you would be using shutter actuations, replacing a shutter is a lot cheaper than melting your sensor.

However, if there's a hack possible that won't compromise the sensor, or shutter, that would be amazing, but probably not possible.
Mileage

Postby sensi277 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to have a "true" quiet mode in the custom firmware. The Nikon D5100 triggers the shutter even when in "quiet mode", whereas some mirrorless cameras are able to save the live view mode frames as an image without triggering the shutter, enabling a truly quiet mode.

Thanks for any insight you are able to provide,
-sensi277
sensi277

Postby astronomer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:18 am

sensi277 wrote:I was wondering if it was possible to have a "true" quiet mode in the custom firmware. The Nikon D5100 triggers the shutter even when in "quiet mode", whereas some mirrorless cameras are able to save the live view mode frames as an image without triggering the shutter, enabling a truly quiet mode.

Thanks for any insight you are able to provide,

Essentially that is the RAW video mode under development. The zoomed mode is not line skipped but we don't know the bit depth at this point.

For still mode, sensor is in Global Reset Mode thus the exposure is uneven if used without mechanical shutter.
astronomer
Developer

Postby urkoman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:38 am

Hi! First post here. First of all, thank you very much for you great work, I´ve just tried the hack on my d5100 and I´m really liking what I see.

But first thing I´ve noticed is one of the (IMO) biggest d5100 problems is not solved: It´s the use of the rangefinder on manual mode. If you use non-af/D lenses on the d5100 you have to use them on M mode or "no lens" error will appear, but somehow the rangefinder does not work on M mode. If you switch to Aperture priority or Speed Priority it works perfectly, but you can´t shoot (no lens). All you can do is focus on A and change to M and then shoot, or just use the green dot, which isn´t very precise. So a hack to use the telemeter on M would be an awesome upgrade, and it seems possible, as it works on other modes.

Thanks again, hope this helps.
urkoman

Postby Lem » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:13 am

Would it be technically possible to increase exposure time?
For example extending the list of exposure times by values 300s and 600s or rewriting 25s exposure to a different value.
Lem

Postby valkyriesound » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi: Thanks for all your work...

It would be SO awesome if you could break Nikon's crippled feature of bracketing only 3 images.
The 7200 even supports 9 bracketed images. The 5100 only allows 3! Please- I'd LOVE to see more options here- 5, 7, 9 whatever you can do.
Of course once they come out with some firmware-I'd love to see this on the 5500.

:angelic-green: :dance: :clap: :romance-hearteyes: :text-thankyoublue:
valkyriesound

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests and Help