Patching Help and Questions Thread

Wouldn't it be cool if we could make our camera do ________ ?
Patching issues and other general help requests here please.

The right bitrate in D5100

Postby dans » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:45 am

Hello, sorry for my bad English. I installed the firmware with manual controls in live view and the bitrate to 29 mbps with playback. Perfect it's works.
In the Settings menu movie I set the movie in 24 fps X-HQ and then 24 fps in high quality and I did some tests with videos of 10 seconds each.
Here, the high quality file is larger than that of X-HQ! Then, in the properties of the file, the bitrate of high quality file is 38063kbps (about 37mbps), while the X-Files HQ 22868kbps (about 22 mbps). How is it possible? If I understand correctly, with this firmware, setting X-HQ should be 29 mbps, while the high quality setting should be 18 mbps.

Thanks for the answers!
dans

Can this firmware brick cameras?

Postby Andrei » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:50 am

Hi there,

Just wanted to ask if the downsides/perils for this firmware are the same as Magic Lantern.

Can this firmware brick/lock/damage your camera or make it malfunction even if you reinstall the original Nikon firmware?

Thanks
Andrei

Re: Can this firmware brick cameras?

Postby jimyjames » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:11 am

It could, if your running alpha or betas, the betas have been pretty good though. Wait for the stable release if you're worried. Flashing(reinstalling) your firmware and having your battery(nikon or off brand) go dead half way through is probably your biggest concern at the moment. Some people have bricked them when they have an off brand battery inserted which didn't show the correct charge and then died half way through the installation. There is also an issue with some battery grips seriously screwing things up during the installation.
jimyjames

Postby Amacaballo » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:03 am

Also I read here that cameras can be bricked if the update is done with a battery gripe attached. So I remove it every time I install this firmware
Amacaballo

Postby Amacaballo » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:06 am

Amacaballo

Postby max » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Short answer : yes. This will void your warranty and you're running a risk of bricking your camera. We strive to make that risk very low, but there is always a non-zero risks of something going wrong.

Good point about the battery, make sure you are using a fully charged OEM battery that is directly in the body of the camera when you are flashing any firmware (OEM or modified).
max
Site Admin

Postby jimyjames » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:50 am

Although this could void your warranty. All you have to do is reinstall the official nikon firmware and no one will be the wiser...Unless you brick your camera.
jimyjames

Patching Help and Questions Thread

Postby Onyxpro1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Please see these fine resources put together by mutofuto and others first:

wiki/Patching_Help
wiki/Patch_limitations

(edit: max, because first post in thread)
Onyxpro1

Re: Patching Help and Questions Thread

Postby Simeon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:11 pm

Onyxpro1 wrote:Having trouble with the Patch Tool. It's not working with my Mac. My camera is D7000. Please Help

Hi John,

Firstly there is the FAQ and the HELP, moved the content from my blog to the Wiki so it can be updated by others.

I have a D7000, so test the patches on my own camera, so they work from that perspective.

Simeon
Simeon
Core Developer

Re: Patching Help and Questions Thread

Postby Onyxpro1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:12 pm

I went to Nikon and downloaded the firmware. I brought it into the Patch Tool and nothing happened.
Silverlight is installed. And I used both MAC and PC. Any suggestions?
Onyxpro1

Next

Return to Feature Requests and Help