The hack on set: Magnifying Glass - Berger House

A showcase of photos and videos shot using Nikon Hacker firmware

The hack on set: Magnifying Glass - Berger House

Postby Piddhu » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:25 am

Hy guys!
As I announced some months ago I shot a music video with some friend and my hacked D7000.
While my poor late 2009 iMac works on the final renderings I would like to share the experience on set and in post and the impact of the hack on it.

First, let's talk about the gear: :lol:
-the camera used, as above: my D7000 hacked for the 49Mbps bitrate on 1080p24, in conjunction with the picture profile Flaat_11 by Similaar
-the cards: 2 SanDisk Ultra SDHC I c10 30Mb/s 16gb; I've tried an Extreme Pro of a friend, just arrived from Amazon, but the replay wasn't possible on that card neither
-the lenses:
Nikon 85 1.8 G - great, tack sharp, beautiful bookeh
Nikon 24-70 2.8 G - clearly a lens not engineered with the hd video in mind, with low contrast and resolvence on the wide end and terrible as zoom, pretty decent instead in the range 35-55
-the lights: some cheap CFL bulbs (with a slightly green cast), a little led panel, 2 400w "Home Depot"-orange-halongens, a really mixture of colors!

On set:
The impossibility of immediate review of what have been shot has become more and more problematic whit the growing of Gbs of recording. A lot of of work has been done registering on the "production modules" what has been recorded and how was the director's/my impression.
Another big problem has been the transfer of the data: the error of "registration interrupted, please wait" after two second of recording has became from pretty rare to be present every time on twice presses on the record button as the cards became full, so I suggest to keep always at least one card in the camera clear do not exceed the 80% of capacity on the recording one.
Batteries seemed not to be influenced by the hack, but I switched off the camera every time I could to prevent overheating (it's sensible in shots longer that 3-4 minutes).
Moreover, OT-ing in the Feature Request section, the possibility to change the aperture during the live view (as the D800 can do) would be a real time-saver. With the present sistem it's a trial-error process that takes away a lot of time.

In post:
The 4 and half heavy shooting days resulted in 35Gbs of data (the song is 5:37). Everything looked really good, no bandings, really few artifacts, maybe also less noise.
I converted the files in Prores 422 Proxy and edited them on a Prores 422 1080p24 (23.976) timeline. Flawless editing.
Arrived to the grading the footage and my PC started to show their flaws. After the color correction the no more flat footage started to be noisy, and after the grading with some plugins I needed a heavy use of a noise reduction tool. In some scenes after the application of a vignette the banding roars. But "gently massaging" [cit.] the 420 8bit .mov transcoded in a 422 10bit container I've reached a pretty decent result, at least for me (are still present some artifacts). I think that with a so strong cc/cg in mind and in a "controlled situation" (and with a better editing station) the 64Mbps would be the best choice.
Now the iMac is exporting, trough hellish struggles, the final file, after the swap of the proxies with Prores 422 HQ 112Mbps files.
I would really thank all the Nikon Hacker team for the improvements to our little old cameras, you're also I the thanks on the final credit, as promised :text-thankyoublue:

The video will be online on June 29th on YouTube, after a terrible compression (I think I will upload the original uncompressed file if someone will be interested).
Hoping someone will find my blab about my experience useful and not boring.

:techie-typing:
W&P Photo
Nikon D7000 w/ 54Mbps Hack
Vimeo | Flickr | Youtube
Piddhu

Re: The hack on set: Magnifying Glass - Berger House

Postby Piddhu » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:12 pm

:grin:
The music video of Magnifying Glass by Berger House is finally on line!
Enjoy!

Magnifying Glass - Berger House
W&P Photo
Nikon D7000 w/ 54Mbps Hack
Vimeo | Flickr | Youtube
Piddhu

Postby 4cc3ss » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:55 am

Nice vid, i'm impressed with the video quality and in low light conditions there's no noise..good job :handgestures-thumbupleft:

4cc3ss
4cc3ss

Postby max » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Thanks for being in-depth about the technical details of the shoot and the problems encountered. Looks great!

-m
max
Site Admin

Return to Nikon Hacker Showcase