Wireshark PTP / MTP Support

Wifi, USB, GPS, Grips, Mics, Ext Power, Lens, Flash

Re: Wireshark PTP / MTP Support

Postby leegong » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Vicne , it's 32bits Windows XP , maybe i have to compile it myself .
leegong
Core Developer

Postby max » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:40 pm

leegong wrote:i downloaded WINDOWS 32bit version, installation is ok on my PC with WINDOWS XP(all options installed), but nothing happens after launch wireshark ,
prompted by "c:\programs\wireshark\wireshark.exe isn't a valid windows program"

Hi Leegong, I found the switch to target an XP executable. I've added a 32-bit XP version at the top. Please test for me and let us know if this works for you.

:beer: ,
-m
max
Site Admin

Postby leegong » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Max , you bring me a good news , since i have to spend almost 3 hours decoding the D800 mirrorup log without your tools , will test it and let you know
the result of course .
leegong
Core Developer

Postby leegong » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:01 am

Max , the program runs , but it couldn't idendify USB connection even after i refresh interface , only ethernet connection there .
Attachments
IMAGE.GIF
leegong
Core Developer

Postby testu » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:11 am

Occasionally found this http://www.anyhing.com/rfdoc/D5000UsbMtpE_01.pdf and this http://www.anyhing.com/rfdoc/D5000PcModeE_01.doc , not sure if it will help someone.

Anyway, thank you guys for the wonderful jobs you have done.

Cheers.
testu

Postby max » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:43 am

leegong wrote:Max , the program runs , but it couldn't idendify USB connection even after i refresh interface , only ethernet connection there .

HI Leegong,

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear before, but there is NO SUPPORT for USB capture in any version of Windows for Wireshark. The only options are :
  1. Run a VMWare Player instance of Windows and convert the vmware capture log to PCAP with scripts available on the wiki
  2. Run a Windows Virtual Machine in the virtualization software of your choice from Linux. Use Wireshark to capture (Easiest)
  3. Create a converter from your favorite USB capture software in XP to PCAP format, using the above one as reference.

The Windows version are only good as a PCAP viewer, unless someone adds native USB capturing to it.

-m
max
Site Admin

Postby stuge » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:50 am

testu wrote:Occasionally found this , not sure if it will help someone.

Thanks for the links.

Let me know if anyone would like a program that uses any of the information, see the list of OperationCodes on page 32 of the PDF for what can be done. Maybe some of the DevicePropCode or ObjectPropCode are of particular interest?
stuge

Postby max » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:56 am

stuge wrote:
testu wrote:Occasionally found this , not sure if it will help someone.

Thanks for the links.

Let me know if anyone would like a program that uses any of the information, see the list of OperationCodes on page 32 of the PDF for what can be done. Maybe some of the DevicePropCode or ObjectPropCode are of particular interest?

Thanks for the offer stuge! A lot of the op codes etc are already in the wireshark dissector, and in libgphoto2. I would encourage augmenting either of those existing projects, since they do the job of either snooping or controlling.

-m
max
Site Admin

Postby stuge » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:07 am

max wrote:A lot of the op codes etc are already in the wireshark dissector, and in libgphoto2. I would encourage augmenting either of those existing projects, since they do the job of either snooping or controlling.

Sure - I was thinking of a case where neither of them is a very good fit or just too complicated, and something special case or just simpler would be useful. The protocol is understandably limited in what can be done, but maybe there's something particularly useful for someone in there.
stuge

Postby max » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 am

stuge wrote:
max wrote:A lot of the op codes etc are already in the wireshark dissector, and in libgphoto2. I would encourage augmenting either of those existing projects, since they do the job of either snooping or controlling.

Sure - I was thinking of a case where neither of them is a very good fit or just too complicated, and something special case or just simpler would be useful. The protocol is understandably limited in what can be done, but maybe there's something particularly useful for someone in there.

Good idea, that could come in handy. At the moment we've actually been using libgphoto2 as a good base, since a lot of the infrastructure is in there already. Most of it's been sort of one-off hacks to the sample program to do what we want. It would be cool to augment that to be more general purpose so you can send in arbitrary op codes and get back arbitrary data.

-m
max
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to External Hacks