Workings of the mirrorbox mechanics - Nikon D3

Wifi, USB, GPS, Grips, Mics, Ext Power, Lens, Flash

Workings of the mirrorbox mechanics - Nikon D3

Postby ragnor » Tue May 16, 2017 6:11 am

Hey,

This isn't quite 'external', nor is it firmware, so I'm not sure I've put it in the right place.
A colleague and I picked up a broken D3 and are attempting to fix it. It's got an 'err' message, the shutter doesn't recock itself and the mirror stays in the up position.

We got pretty far in debugging the thing and disassembled it mostly.
After removing the front body, the shutter would cock itself. The unconnected and unpowered front body still had the mirror in the up position.
We further disassembled all the way down to the mirrorbox. We think the root cause is in the mechanics of it.

This is a picture of the mechanics on the mirror box:

What we've noticed is that the solenoid on the left has a permanent magnetic field, the solenoid on the right does not. If we hold the lever attached to that right solenoid, we can keep the mirror in the down position. We think both solenoids require a permanent magnet and the one on the right somehow lost it's magnetic field (clueless how that could happen).

What I actually want to ask is; has anyone disassembled their DSLR down to this level and figured out how it works? Is the right solenoid supposed to have a magnetic field, or are we missing something?
ragnor

Return to External Hacks