Hacking the Nikon WU-1a....

Wifi, USB, GPS, Grips, Mics, Ext Power, Lens, Flash

Re: Hacking the Nikon WU-1a....

Postby nh2013 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:25 am

Hi!

Does anybody know the pinout of the different ports on Nikon cameras? For me the connectors of the D800 would be interesting.

If I see it right the 10 pin remote connector has a +5v how powerful is that port? I wonder if its possible to drive the WU-1x (5v&3v) with it.
What would you recommend to go from 5v to 3v?

Where to find male and especially female connectors for the 10 pin port? I guess not all cheap remotes will have 10 pins cabled, ...

In addition which connectors are available via the bottom grip connector? It would be cool if the usb and the remote connector would be
present, then it should be possible to modify a cheapo grip to have a GPS and a WLAN receiver inside :-)
nh2013

Postby ubmtdc » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:33 am

For all who are interested in the pin coding of the connector take a look at the following site:
http://pinoutsguide.com/DigitalCameras/ ... nout.shtml.

At the bottom of the site you will find two partnumbers one for male connector (this is needed to connect to the camera) and one for the female connector (this is needed for connecting the WU-1A).
ubmtdc

Postby ssbj » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:00 am

Hello, very great job joe.

Where can I find step by step tutorials with wire in order to make my own adapter for d800. I have a female USB e6 plug, and an usb3 plug.

WU-1a need 5v? and 3v? or just 3v? lol

Thanks for help everybody
ssbj

Postby max » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:15 am

ubmtdc wrote:For all who are interested in the pin coding of the connector take a look at the following site:

Thanks ubmtdc -- but that link seems to be dead. If someone is up to replicating this info in the Wiki (with proper credit to the source), that would be awesome.

-m
max
Site Admin

Postby clav0 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 am

For information,
I confirm the correct functioning of a Nikon D7100 with the WU-1a and capture software Helicon Remote V 3.0 in Windows 8.
It is possible to do all that is possible with this software.
including Focus Bracketing.
Bests Regard
clav0

Postby Vicne » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:59 pm

max wrote:Thanks ubmtdc -- but that link seems to be dead.

FWIW, the page is archived here...

Vicne
Vicne
Core Developer

Postby coderat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Or is available http://pinoutsguide.com/DigitalCameras/nikon_uc-e6_pinout.shtml - just another name. I added link in WIKI.

Best regards,
coderat
coderat
Core Developer

Postby Szejbi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:41 pm

hello, Is there a chance to work D600 + WU-1B Like on Cable, like a drive to download the images? Canon 6d with the build in WiFi have much more advanced options to download or send images, not like nikon, only point&shot via android device.
Szejbi

Postby calixo » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:10 pm

I can confirm that the WU-1b is somehow working with the D7000. My improvised hardware setup is still a bit flakey , but I'm working on it.
DslrDashboard recognizes the camera for a short while, then crashes. With gphoto2 I could take a couple of photos and download them.
Does somebody have an idea if it is safe to draw 6V/100mA from the GPS port of the camera ? This would seem to be the peak consumption of the WU-1b.
calixo

Postby captainreynolds » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:58 pm

Joe,

This is amazing! Are there plans to create a more detailed guide than the slides/video posted on your site? From what I can tell all the steps are present, but I can't be sure. I'd love to get my Wu-1B working with my Nikon D7000.

EDIT:

Whoops! Just bumped a 2 year old thread. Oh well - if anyone else has info on this, I'd love to have your input!
captainreynolds

PreviousNext

Return to External Hacks