D3100 External Switches Ver2

Wifi, USB, GPS, Grips, Mics, Ext Power, Lens, Flash

D3100 External Switches Ver2

Postby 4cc3ss » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:31 pm

I wasn't going public with this, coderat said go public it might encourage some people to copy this mod or give different ideas..

I previously did this mod a while ago with another D3100 which ended up being a brick, this time around wasn't planned, i was actually fixing the D3100 which i own now,
the camera wouldn't power up when cold, when this got resolved i decided to add an extra socket to accept a jack plug, while the camera was already in parts.
Like i said it wasn't planned so i didn't take photos at each step of the mod.

Here i have glued the socket to the plastic face, what you can't see i had to cut a small part of the metal frame so the socket sat snug.
wires.jpg

Camera assembled, the 3 wires from the socket are solder to the lcd pcb, if i spent the time and found the points, these could be soldered to the main board.
socket-live view-record.jpg

Cable plugged in and ready to go.
cable.jpg

Steadicam with 2 switches which controls liveview & record, usb plug & socket is just used as a connector.
steadicam.jpg

Link to the D3100 mod being used.
http://youtu.be/qORJORMv8v8

Best regards,
4cc3ss
4cc3ss

Re: D3100 External Switches Ver2

Postby geoffcbassett » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:03 pm

Great mod 4cc3ss, would love to eventually get something like this set up on a B-camera. The trigger positioning on the Steadicam is a great touch.
geoffcbassett

Return to External Hacks