Lens serial communication

Wifi, USB, GPS, Grips, Mics, Ext Power, Lens, Flash

Lens serial communication

Postby lain » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:12 am

This is something I have been playing with as well, since I am working on a camera design and would like to use Nikon lenses with it even though their aperture control is still mechanical.

At present I'm working on gathering more information about the lens protocol itself by gathering lots of data. I'm just improving my data capture setup, moving from sniffing the lines at the D5100 mainboard to tapping into the lines in a macro extension tube with AF support. Using the extension tube means I can sniff an unmodified camera and lens, so I can also test on my D800.

Some patents mentioned in another topic on the forum gave a great starting point and explained the signalling used.

Electrical:
It is a 3 wire, 5V protocol with signals H/S (meaning handshake, also called R/W and In/Out), Data, and SCLK (Clock). SPI is used with SO and SI tied together to form Data, and then when one side expects to receive data it leaves SO in Hi-Z state so it does not interfere with the sender's serial output.

Looking into the camera body with the camera upright, the pins are lettered A thru H (or 1 thru 8 as is used on the wiki). B is H/S, C is SCLK, D is Data.
Also I believe E and H are motor drive signals, 90 degrees out phase to determine direction. These are used for AF based on my testing, but I need to scope them a bit more to be 100% certain what's going on, but repair manuals and whatnot strongly suggest that is the case.

Series resistors are used in case there is a conflict where both sides transmit, which seems possible with some new changes to the protocol -- old patents say a lens shall send byte 0xFF in response to unknown commands, but some newer commands have data phase going from camera to lens. In such cases, the camera and lens may attempt to transmit simultaneously, so series resistors prevent overcurrent on the output pins when one is high and the other is low.

The clock line is always driven by the body and it idles high. It operates at 142kHz or very close to that.
Data transitions on the falling clock edge, valid on the rising edge.
The handshake line is open-collector, pulled high by resistor.

There is a "power-down" state where no communication takes place. This state is identified by H/S high, Data and SCLK low. There seems to always be a command sent before entering this state, and a certain sequence of lines going high/low to bring the lens out of this state and back to normal communcation. This is different from the bus idling between commands, where SCLK is normally high.

Protocol:
Communication is always initiated by the camera body from what I have seen.
The camera pulls H/S low (I refer to this as "asserting H/S") for a fixed period of time -- I think this is about 125 microseconds, but not sure, could firmware people take a look? :pray: -- then releases H/S (it goes high). The camera then waits for H/S to go low again.
As soon as the lens sees H/S is low, it asserts H/S and keeps it asserted to indicate it's ready and waiting for a command. They can both assert H/S simultaneously because it is open-collector, so they are both just pulling it low, neither ever drive it high.
In my testing, the lens always asserts H/S before the camera releases it, so H/S remains low for the duration.

Upon seeing H/S is low after releasing it, the camera knows the lens is ready and it clocks out the command, which is one byte. Data is always sent as one byte. No single transmission is ever greater than one byte. The bus always idles between bytes.

When the lens is done with the command, it releases H/S.
If the command involves data transfer, the lens releases H/S after it knows which command it is, then asserts H/S when the data byte is in the transmit buffer ready to go (if lens -> camera), or when the buffer is empty and ready to receive the next data byte (if camera -> lens). The camera then toggles clock to send/receive one byte. Direction of transfer is determined by the command alone as best I can tell, I haven't seen any indication that a bit in the command determines direction.

If the command instructs the lens to perform an action, the lens will not be ready for another command until the action is complete. Therefore: if the command involves data, H/S will be asserted longer after the last byte while the action is performed; if the command does not involve data, then H/S is asserted longer after the initial command byte. Put another way: the lens performs the action on the last byte (which may be the command byte!) before returning to idle, and it will not release from that byte until the action is complete. This provides an easy way to discern reads from writes by timing analysis, since the lens MCUs are slow and take a relatively long time to release H/S in all cases I have seen.

Anyway, I can clean up all the above and add it to the wiki at some point with pretty pictures of data captures and so on. I've written a simple tool to parse captures from the logic analyzer into a list of all commands and their corresponding data. It works, just needs some refinement and then I plan to capture LOTS of data from many lenses and build a comprehensive listing of all commands seen and the data they have been seen with, including how many times each unique command+data combo was seen, etc.

Hopefully that data will be useful to those of you working on the firmware, and I'm hoping firmware folks can help me figure out what some of the commands mean as well :drool:

I wrote this quickly and I haven't had breakfast yet, so sorry for any errors!
Oh, interesting anecdote: one of Nikon's patents covers commands for Power Zoom, though I don't believe any Nikkor glass has such a thing? But that patent also talks about AF commands I don't think I've seen in use... I see different commands used to control AF.
lain
Developer

Re: Lens serial communication

Postby leegong » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:25 am

Hi , lain ,
In D5100 FirmWare , two I/O ports are used for lens communication besides serial interface.
1)PI3 , camera body always set PI3 low before it wants to send command to lens, after completes lots of setting ,
then camera set it high .
2)PJ7 , it's used to generate interrupt , upon interrupt is triggered , the interrupt handler
sends one byte to lens , so if there are many bytes to be sent to lens (one byte for command code,
several bytes for extra parameters) , PJ7 should be triggered many times .
3)each bit in commands and parameters for lens is inverted then sent to lens.
4)it seems that 0xFF (not negated)is always sent to lens before camera is going to send command byte.

Best reagrds,
Leegong
leegong
Core Developer

Postby lain » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:21 am

Hi leegong,

It sounds like PI3 is the H/S "handshake" signal, then. PJ7 may be connected to H/S as well, I think a patent mentioned that exact arrangement actually.

When you say the bits are inverted, do you mean like logical "not," or do you mean they are bitswapped? I know the protocol sends least significant bit first.

Interesting about 0xFF, that conflicts with what I have seen, maybe it's something to do with the SPI controller that never goes out on the wire? For example, below is a screenshot of a typical command as I have seen them.

H/S is asserted by the camera for at least 125us (please confirm this value whenever you can), then released.
Then the command byte is sent out on the Data line (0x41 here), toggling SCLK for each bit of course. When the lens is ready to send or accept the next byte it asserts H/S and the camera toggles SCLK. On the last byte, the lens releases H/S when it is done processing the command.

P.S. Is it possible to upload images directly here for posting? I didn't see an option...
lain
Developer

Postby leegong » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:52 pm

lain wrote:It sounds like PI3 is the H/S "handshake" signal, then. PJ7 may be connected to H/S as well, I think a patent mentioned that exact arrangement actually...

Yes , i think so . You may trace PI3 and PJ7 to confirm them .
lain wrote:When you say the bits are inverted, do you mean like logical "not," or do you mean they are bitswapped? I know the protocol sends least significant bit first.

It's logic "not" .
Code: Select all
  1. ROM:BFC43FA6                 move    $v0, $s2    ; s2 = byte to be sent from body to lens .

2. ROM:BFC43FA8                 not     $v0, $v0

3. ROM:BFC43FAA                 sw      $v0, 0($a2)      # a2 = SC1BUF

lain wrote:Interesting about 0xFF, that conflicts with what I have seen, maybe it's something to do with the SPI controller that never goes out on the wire?

I think that it's for SPI . Line 5 in the following code shows that 0xFF is written to serial data register before lens command is sent out :
Code: Select all
  1. ROM:BFC43F76                 move    $fp, $v0

2. ROM:BFC43F78                 bset    3($fp) , 5       # Port6PIN5 = RXD1

3. ROM:BFC43F7A                 bset    3($fp) , 6       # Port6PIN6 = SCLK

4. ROM:BFC43F7C                 li      $v0, 0xFF

5. ROM:BFC43F7E                 sw      $v0, 0($a2)      #  0xFF -> SC1 data register

6. ROM:BFC43F80                 jalx    clear_INTreq     # IN a0 = INT number

7. ROM:BFC43F84                 li      $a0, 0x25  # '%'

8. ROM:BFC43F86                 li      $a1, 0

9. ROM:BFC43F88                 jal     setup_ILEV   # IN a0 = INT number

10. ROM:BFC43F8C                 li      $a0, 0x25  # '%'

11. ROM:BFC43F8E                 lw      $v0, 0($sp)      # SC1MOD0

12. ROM:BFC43F90                 move    $fp, $v0

13. ROM:BFC43F92                 bset    3($fp) , 5       # Enables SC1 reception

lain wrote:H/S is asserted by the camera for at least 125us (please confirm this value whenever you can), then released.

Well , i'll try getting this value by means of debugging in Emulator , i'll tell you the result as soon as i get it .
lain wrote:P.S. Is it possible to upload images directly here for posting? I didn't see an option...

It's strange that no option for attachment uploading in the session .
leegong
Core Developer

Postby leegong » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:54 am

Hey ,lain ,
The value of H/S duration in Emulator is weird , here's the debugging result that i got :
0555.458500000ms set PI3 Low (@0xBFC43DEC)
0555.462025000ms set PI3 High (@0xBFC43DE6)
0557.074515000ms set PI3 Low (@0xBFC43DEC)
0562.175130000ms set PI3 Low (@0xBFC43DEC)
0563.804280000ms set PI3 High (@0xBFC43DE6)
0565.411900000ms set PI3 Low (@0xBFC43DEC)
Is the duration important for you to sniff lens serial communication ? if not , let's solve it at later time ,
i'll summmarize the formatting of each command which is sent to lens , hoping this
will help you , for example :
command code : 0xC5 , no input parameter , 8 bytes response from lens
command code : 0xD3 , input 1 byte parameter = enum {0xC3 , 0x83}, no response from lens .

Best regards,
Leegong
leegong
Core Developer

Postby coderat » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:47 am

Lain, can you precisely measure baud rate to lens just after plugin ?
What I see in Firmware is setting to 96 KBaud. So it is strange, may be it is 96 KBaud at the begining and then switched faster if lens can?
What lens do you use ?

P.S. do not rely on patents, only rely things you measure: a lot of things like lens commands are just different. Making a patent, doesn't necessary mean they will use it like this.

Thanks,
coderat
coderat
Core Developer

Postby lain » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:22 am

leegong wrote:Is the duration important for you to sniff lens serial communication ? if not , let's solve it at later time

It is not important, just a curiosity, but below is the answer.

leegong wrote:i'll summmarize the formatting of each command which is sent to lens , hoping this
will help you , for example :
command code : 0xC5 , no input parameter , 8 bytes response from lens
command code : 0xD3 , input 1 byte parameter = enum {0xC3 , 0x83}, no response from lens .

Thanks, this matches what I am seeing.

coderat wrote:Lain, can you precisely measure baud rate to lens just after plugin ?
What I see in Firmware is setting to 96 KBaud. So it is strange, may be it is 96 KBaud at the begining and then switched faster if lens can?
What lens do you use ?

Sorry, I missed it the first time around. I just tested with an AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G at power on, and I do see the 96kHz serial clock. It sends command 0x40, and the lens gives back some information (all hex):
00 00 01 04 00 00 01 02 1A
Or at least, I think that data is coming from the lens. With my current setup I can only take an educated guess as to the direction of data, hopefully the firmware can help there.

Then it sends, at 156kHz, command 0x41, and the lens response with "02 1A". Communication seems to stay at 156kHz after that. In my previous message I stated 142kHz, that was a mistake -- the actual rate seen was 156kHz.

Not really related, but curiously the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 won't AF in Live View. Every time you tell the camera to AF, the lens takes one "step" to closer focus (or does nothing if already at closest focus), then stops. Telling it to AF again, even if held down, just does one more "step." I see this behavior with another Sigma here, an old 18-200. Happens on D3100, D5100, and D800. Curious :eusa-think:

coderat wrote:P.S. do not rely on patents, only rely things you measure: a lot of things like lens commands are just different. Making a patent, doesn't necessary mean they will use it like this.

I agree, it just gave a good basis for the protocol itself, which turns out to be correct.
lain
Developer

Postby leegong » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:29 am

lain wrote:Every time you tell the camera to AF, the lens takes one "step" to closer focus (or does nothing if already at closest focus), then stops. Telling it to AF again, even if held down, just does one more "step." I see this behavior with another Sigma here, an old 18-200. Happens on D3100, D5100, and D800. Curious :eusa-think:

Could you please tell me what's the command code for AF ? here or in PM , then i could trace the parameters of this command for you .
leegong
Core Developer

Postby leegong » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:50 am

lain wrote: It sends command 0x40, and the lens gives back some information (all hex):
00 00 01 04 00 00 01 02 1A
Or at least, I think that data is coming from the lens. With my current setup I can only take an educated guess as to the direction of data, hopefully the firmware can help there.
Then it sends, at 156kHz, command 0x41, and the lens response with "02 1A". Communication seems to stay at 156kHz after that. In my previous message I stated 142kHz, that was a mistake -- the actual rate seen was 156kHz.

Command 0x40 : no input at first , 7 bytes response from lens ,then "02 1A" is sent to lens .
Command 0x41 : no input , 2 bytes response from lens .
Do you think command 0x40 and 0x41 pair sound like negotiating proper braudrate for communication ?
leegong
Core Developer

Postby lain » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:31 am

leegong wrote:Could you please tell me what's the command code for AF ? here or in PM , then i could trace the parameters of this command for you .

I'm not sure which command is for AF just yet, but I am looking for it.
Finally installed a connector to tap into the lens comms on a macro extension tube, so now it's easy for me to switch lenses without wires hanging out the back of my poor, abused D5100. And only one screw left over after reassembly... :lol:

leegong wrote:Command 0x40 : no input at first , 7 bytes response from lens ,then "02 1A" is sent to lens .
Command 0x41 : no input , 2 bytes response from lens .

Oh wow, I had not realized a single command can have data in both directions. In that case, the only way to know data direction is from info you gather from the firmware.

leegong wrote:Do you think command 0x40 and 0x41 pair sound like negotiating proper braudrate for communication ?

Yes, this sounds correct to me, though no idea what the parameters might mean just yet.
lain
Developer

Next

Return to External Hacks