Allow Operation with Lens removed...

Wifi, USB, GPS, Grips, Mics, Ext Power, Lens, Flash

Allow Operation with Lens removed...

Postby wankeye » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:01 pm

First of all, thank you for your hard work and these awesome firmware hacks that you provide to the world, you folks are awesome for investigating the innards of these cameras and only asking for donations to keep the site running.

I am curious about whether anyone has looked into the systems that prevent the camera from operating when the lens is removed. I realize that almost no one is ever going to want to take a photo or (in my case) record a video with the lens removed, but I do... so I thought I would ask you folks if you had any idea how simple it might be to let the camera keep operating even when it senses that the lens has been removed. Could this be dangerous for automatic focusing lenses? Does the camera need to know what F stops the lens is capable of before even attempting to operate, or something? I guess I'm hoping that it's just a simple byte that gets changes when the lens is off and it could just be kept on all the time or ignored or something.

Clearly I have no clue what I'm talking about so feel free to tell me I'm asking about silly things that are really complicated and to get lost, or whatever. Thanks for your time, if you've made it this far. ;)
wankeye

Re: Allow Operation with Lens removed...

Postby Simeon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:16 pm

Well the camera's (some models) work with old manual lens, so the major check is it a pin is pushed in, by the lens. I cannot remember where on the mount it is (at work), but the camera firmware knows when there is not a lens on the camera.
Simeon
Core Developer

Re: Allow Operation with Lens removed...

Postby coderat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:05 am

coderat
Core Developer

Return to External Hacks