Nikonhacker has some ... gulp ... competition?

Suggestions / improvements / tech support for the forum and wiki

Nikonhacker has some ... gulp ... competition?

Postby aliensporebomb » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:27 pm

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/01/21/why-i ... egit.aspx/

What do you think? Could it be the advances the Nikonhacker collective have produced sort of forced Nikon's hand into improving their existing cameras?
Time will tell. Very interesting to say the least.
aliensporebomb

Re: Nikonhacker has some ... gulp ... competition?

Postby Simeon » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:23 pm

There is no "competition" we are trying to understand the camera's and make them better.

Nikon knows the camera (well I hope they do) and does just enough to make things sell. Nikon doing more is a good thing.

In the contact I've had with a Nikon person, they asked "if an SDK would be good" and I said if they made it easier to safely load firmware, that would be really awesome, for progressing things, ala Magic Lantern level progress.

The D810 was launched with notes of an "SDK", I've never seen that come about. So not sure if that was a close door SDK program, or what.

It's Nikon market to loses. I imagine they are getting slaughtered in the point in shoot market, and the DSLR market is constricting. Mobile phones are our performing, and I suspect as a whole Nikon is having a identity crises, and they cannot get out of there own way to do something that might slow the death spiral. the Mirco 4/3 market is taking away share, and the feature roadmap on DSLR seems dead to me, how many more mega pixels do we need.

That's what I think, but that doesn't really matter ether.
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby mutofuto » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:24 am

Yeah, exactly what Simeon said.

Nikon's been in trouble all the time when it comes to video DSLRs.
1. Nikon D90, first dslr to shoot video. A year later, Canon 7D was way better with video and everyone forgot about the Nikon.
2. Nikon D3100, first VDSLR with autofocus. Well, half year later every brand had that. And their models did better.
3. D800 - clean hdmi out. Well, now everybody has that.

And now there's 4K. There aren't even any real rumours about Nikon releasing a 4K video dslr. Considering that they've had quality control issues (D600, D610, D750) lately, and all the new models have something-new-that-doesn't-work-so-great, or the video features are already behind the competition, it's a good thing they're hopefully trying to improve firmware wise. If they had a nice SDK, the Nikonhacker project would be a lot easier for the developers.

If you look at the new Samsung NX1, you'll notice that cinema5D.com gave a crushing review! Now, 4 months after it's release, there's already been 3 firmware updates to improve the video features. Nikon could learn from Samsung's example...
mutofuto

Postby jimyjames » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:59 pm

yes. YES. but in all seriousness, these cameras are great at doing specifically what they said they did when you buy them. But the limitations they impose for the sake of profit is such a pissoff. Good. I hope they do it. Fuji and even olympus are killing them and I'm glad, they deserve it.
jimyjames

Postby aliensporebomb » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:30 am

And then this morning I heard this:
http://petapixel.com/2015/02/04/special ... tedly-way/
http://nikonrumors.com/2015/02/04/more- ... aphy.aspx/

Canon released one of these a couple of years ago but that was 16 MP and not full frame - this rumored new Nikon is 36 MP full frame sensor. But a friend of mine who does high end astrophotography doesn't even use a DSLR to do it, he uses a cooled CCD camera and telescopes and his whole rig costs more than my car. I'd be divorced if I tried to go down that road so the D810 for astrophotography might be more realistically possible. Still, it seems that Nikon is being surprising a little.

I was taking aurora borealis shots last sunday night and tried to take shots of it with my iPhone 6+ and though the iPhone was barely able to see the lights register a
DSLR was the only way to really get great shots of the northern lights.
aliensporebomb

Postby astronomer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:06 am

astronomer
Developer

Postby aliensporebomb » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:40 am

That's true. The other thought I was mulling over - while a 36.3 MP sensor is awfully nice and excessive do we really gain astrophotographically from something like that? It's interesting they're trying something different though.
aliensporebomb

Postby astronomer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:26 pm

astronomer
Developer

Postby arthurking83 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:04 pm

arthurking83

Postby jimyjames » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:03 am

Fujifilm Xt1, olympus om-d e-m5 ,.... nikon...df? Look at all that innovation, and feature update firmware, I think you're right authorking83 people demand more and nikon is getting a little stale in that department. What is the Df except a stab at an aesthetic form, with a crippled feature set. Fuji is bringing the form and the content(feature set) and they update it, not really video though, unfortunately. But is their a future in a DSLR in 5 years 10years, maybe not. We're seeing it now, DSLR are going to blow through another glass ceiling in terms of MP, canon's new 50MP thing but who cares, Who needs it? a few people. Sure it's cool to see how much mind blowing detail you can retain when you're pixel peeping. Or sure you could crop down to a quarter of the image or whatever and still have a an amazingly detailed picture. But I'm sorry that's not really photography, That sounds like shitty composition. Maybe for "The Shot" that you missed?, when your driving and you've got your 50 MP camera leaned out the window and what? a rare bengal tiger runs off into the distance, yeah sure, then you could fire of what 5fps? shit my d5100 can almost do that. More great innovation. "Yeah but that 5fps at 50 MP, Awesome right?" wrong. Then you'll do what go home and load your em up onto your server? to crop your terrible image down and see the tiger in the shot that you missed anyway. "OH yeah but you could blow that up to like a billboard right" Oh yeah who does that? a couple people, not the people with poor photography skills in most cases. Look at which companies are bringing the innovation to photography, it's not nikon, anymore. Even with a move like this, if it happens.

Check this out for reference: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/12 ... NeHkEJen8E
jimyjames

Next

Return to nikonhacker.com