Simply Thanks

Suggestions / improvements / tech support for the forum and wiki

Simply Thanks

Postby stubblychin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:14 am

So I bought a d5100 and was loving it as a stills camera, then I thought, I'd really like to do some video with it. I even went to a DSLR Cinematography course, that demonstrated all the great manual control you can get with DSLRs. Imagine my dismay when, after playing with my video settings, I get the dawning realisation that something is wrong with the video mode. Searching around revealed that the camera wouldn't let you have manual control during video. Sure there were some tricky little workarounds, but still, not great, and highly disappointing.

And then I find you wonderful people. I load up the modified firmware, and boom, all is right with the world. I've registered simply to say THANK YOU. Well done to everyone involved. I have made a donation. Keep up the good work!

:text-thankyoublue:
stubblychin

Re: Simply Thanks

Postby 4cc3ss » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:50 am

4cc3ss

Postby acemonvw » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:29 am

I too am in the same boat as the OP. I remember buying my D5100 FOR video because everyone said how much better it was for filming than other DSLRs. When I bought it, I knew nothing about cameras (I had taken a lot of pictures with my dad's Sears SLR years ago, but I didn't understand even the basics back then), so I didn't have the judgement or foresight to know what to look for in a camera (Snapshot was the best way for me to judge and compare cameras). Either way, I was severely disappointed by not having manual control of exposure when I was filming. It's quite simply: Stupid. I have been using the dumb trick where you have to lock the exposure. I eventually bought a Canon 60D and was just amazed how how f***ing simple it was. It just worked as expected. I still kept my D5100 because I like to film two viewpoints for my videos (I write music and film as I play synthesizers). I was going to sell my D5100, but it would've been a hassle and I'd have lost money.

So... thank you so much for working on this! I will be sending a donation right afterwards.

Have you considered making a sticky thread where people can just... thank you guys? It could reduce some clutter elsewhere on the forum.

Here's a video of my latest piece, the side shots of the synthesizer are done using the Nikon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTF8qRAfrs8

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
acemonvw

Postby coderat » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:11 am

coderat
Core Developer

Postby acemonvw » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:47 pm

Thanks coderat! The clip shouldn't be out of sync. Usually I clap into the cameras pre-recording so that I can sync up audio and video in adobe elements. Also, there is a lag between when I press notes and a sound is produced (the attack on the synth part is delayed, on purpose). But I can't say I've got the best eye for it, so it could be off I suppose!

And thanks for looking at the other songs! I was quite happy with The approaching storm. I think it was one of those pieces that didn't take me very long to write because everything just 'clicked' and made sense. VERY seldom do I feel I can do that (like tonight... sitting trying to write music, only finding my eyes closing and I'm falling asleep, completely lacking motivation!). I'm glad you enjoyed the music.

I wish I could contribute more to your cause over here. What you guys are doing to make our camera's more function is just pure magic (okay, I'm sure it's not magic. It took a lot of work to understand the code, but it's fair to say, you guys are brilliant). I couldn't give a large donation, but I donated and I'll direct anyone who has a nikon to do the same. When I shoot some more videos I'll post my specs about my camera and link to this site to get people interested!

I actually really enjoy filming with my DSLRs (I just purchased my first one back in May). Before that, I had a camcorder (thinking it would give me high quality 'awesome videos). I was wrong. If you saw any of my early videos, they were done using a JVC GR-HD1. The quality sucked. No DOF and the picture wasn't crisp at all!

Anyway, :teasing-blah: Just so you guys know: I'm truly grateful for all of your hard work!
acemonvw

Postby 4cc3ss » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:19 am

Myself was looking around youtube and i actually came across acemonvw not realising he's even posted here.. :doh:
It's rewarding to see these hacks are being used among Nikon users, thank you for your feedback & great music,
acemonvw i'm sure to use one of your tracks in a video when the time comes. ;)

Best regards,
4cc3ss
4cc3ss

Postby acemonvw » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:43 pm

acemonvw

Postby 4cc3ss » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:37 am

4cc3ss

Postby acemonvw » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:44 am

acemonvw