Gps on/off buttom

Wouldn't it be cool if we could make our camera do ________ ?

Gps on/off buttom

Postby rob6115 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Is it achievable to add a on/off buttom in the menu for the gps? I managed to place a gps chip in my battery grip but now I can't turn the gps off without unplugging the cable.

Thank you!

(I have a D3100)
The flying Limburger
rob6115

Re: Gps on/off buttom

Postby Simeon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Just letting to know I understand the question you asked, but I have deleted one of the three posts for this request, as it belongs in this part of the forum, not on a patch announcement.

I assume the the same GPS timeout setting you should have for the normal unit should still work when it's housed elsewhere... is that not the case?
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby Vicne » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:49 pm

rob6115 wrote:Is it achievable to add a on/off buttom in the menu for the gps? I managed to place a gps chip in my battery grip but now I can't turn the gps off without unplugging the cable.

Silly question: can you achieve a good gps fix with your Gps underneah the body ? I also thought it was a convenient place for a gps, but abandoned the idea thinking it would never get a fix... Do you have a blog or pictures of your modified grip?
As for turning the gps off, if it's powered by the camera, it should only be powered when the camera is... Otherwise, i guess you could just add an on/off switch on the grip ...
Best regards,
Vicne
Vicne
Core Developer

Postby Vicne » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:53 pm

Simeon wrote:Just letting to know I understand the question you asked, but I have deleted one of the three posts for this request, as it belongs in this part of the forum, not on a patch announcement.

i also deleted the same post in the lengthy 'feature list' topic. It's condidereed bad practice to post the same topic multiple times.
Best regards,
Vicne
Vicne
Core Developer

Postby rob6115 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:23 am

I am sorry I posted my question multiple times.

Yes i can get a good GPS fix. I placed the gps chip in my battery grip because it uses the same port as the second shutter buttom. I wanted to use both at the same time.
I didnt make a switch so when I turn the camera on the gps is automatic on, and it consumes a lot of battery power. Because of this I was wondering if a gps on/off option could be made in the menu.

I added some pics of the modded grip.

I used the:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BG-2F-Vertical- ... 4ac04dd871
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Receiver-as ... 19d27065df

Greatings,

Robin
Attachments
IMG_0687.JPG
IMG_0605.JPG
IMG_0603.JPG
The flying Limburger
rob6115

Postby max » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:52 am

rob6115 wrote:Yes i can get a good GPS fix. I placed the gps chip in my battery grip because it uses the same port as the second shutter buttom. I wanted to use both at the same time.

:clap: That's an awesome hack. One of those, "Why didn't it come from the factory like that???" questions.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
max
Site Admin

Postby rob6115 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:37 am

:text-thankyoublue:

Glad you like it :D

I was wondering the same.
But I want to make 1 more mod on the grip, I want to add a IR sensor. The new generation battery grips for the d3100 have that already.
The flying Limburger
rob6115

Return to Feature Requests