Coolpix S8200 Feature Request

Wouldn't it be cool if we could make our camera do ________ ?
Patching issues and other general help requests here please.

Coolpix S8200 Feature Request

Postby Vince » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:56 am

So I have this little Coolpix S8200, and it only has auto exposures and limited settings, which are no fun. Could one of you awesome coder people make a firmware for it that add features like manual exposure, ISO, and focus? If you can also add things to take time lapses that would be great! If you want pay I don't have money, unless I pay in the pictures I take with it. Basically transform this point and shoot into a mirror-less beast of a trashcan. (nobody is gonna respond why am i trying)
Vince

Re: Coolpix S8200 Feature Request

Postby mitkonikov » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:45 pm

Let's be clear: I'm sorry, but it's never going to happen. Why? Because decrypting, disassembling and understanding specific firmware is very very very difficult. Let alone.. adding all these functionalities to it.

I have been programming for who knows how many years now. I have putted some interest in assembly code too. And I can tell you, that what you are asking is just plainly simply impossible.

Hacking something requires a lot of time, so in fact you are paying with your time for a better camera (at least that's what you want). My advise is getting a better camera, and using your camera to pay for your time, or whatever...

I don't know your background, but if you don't believe me, try looking just at the wiki. You won't get very far, I believe...
mitkonikov

Return to Feature Requests and Help