D5100 Feature Requests

Wouldn't it be cool if we could make our camera do ________ ?
Patching issues and other general help requests here please.

Re: D5100 Feature Requests

Postby Fried Crispy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:01 am

Would it be possible for the increased quality images that surpass the pathway to be displayed to have a reduced image made that could make the journey and then get an image on the LCD?
Fried Crispy

UTC date and time in Encoding, Tagged fields of metadata

Postby garrych » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:01 pm

Timezone set to UTC+3 (Europe/Moscow) with DST off. Time set.
Record a movie and metadata for the file contains this strings:
Code: Select all
  1. Created : 30 December 2015 at 00:35

2. Modified : 30 December 2015 at 00:35

3. Container

4. Format : MPEG-4

5. Format profile : QuickTime

6. Codec ID : qt  

7. Duration : 5s 40ms

8. Overall bit rate : 12.5 Mbps

9. Encoded date : UTC 2015-12-30 00:35:09

10. Tagged date : UTC 2015-12-30 00:35:09

11. Writing application : Nikon Digital Camera]

File creation and modification date and time are correct and displayed in local time. Encoding and tagged time are wrong (as they are set to local time for fileds that are to be set as UTC).
Any application will metadata support will display that the movie captured 3 hours later than expected.
Can firmware patch correct this behaviour?
garrych

Postby ds1707 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:43 am

Hello together,

I am new to this board and i wanted to say hello.
Impressive what you are providing here, i just flashed a "modified" firmware and are totally satisfied with it.

I wanted to ask if it is possible to increase the shut off time of the remote trigger?
This is by normal firmware maximum 15 minutes.
I wanted to use my D5100 in a box for my wedding.
It would be awesome to increase this time to 120 minutes or something else.

Or can i do this on my own?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Dominik
ds1707

Postby Yosh76 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:20 am

Hi all,

Today I tried to use my D5100 for aerial video with live out by a combo USB/ Video cable. As a result with the standard firmware I´ve got a black screen on my video output during recording.
After a long google session I found this project here :-) :dance: :text-+1: Great work with the firmware patch!
Nice to know that HDMI live out works! For aerial video it will be nice if standard definition out via video also will work.
Has somebody an idea if this is also possible?
The reason behind that is, that for aerial video the video out will be connected to a 5.8Ghz transmitter which will send the captured live image to the ground station.
For the control of the camera I am using an arduino via usb and I am able to start/ stop recording, switch mode between photo and vide (live view) and also to focus.
Live out for SD video during recording will be a great enhancement !!!
Thanks a lot,
Yosh76
Yosh76

Postby phersonweathermon » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:42 pm

Dont know how possible it is but I would love to see a kelvin temperature setting in the white balance menu on the d5100 like is on the higher end cameras. Is that something you guys have thought about or are working on? Would be awesome to upgrade iso sensitivity as well as mega pixels to make the entry level cameras like the d5100 work like and function photo quality wise like the higher end cameras.
phersonweathermon

Postby sensi277 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:44 pm

phersonweathermon wrote:Dont know how possible it is but I would love to see a kelvin temperature setting in the white balance menu on the d5100 like is on the higher end cameras. Is that something you guys have thought about or are working on? Would be awesome to upgrade iso sensitivity as well as mega pixels to make the entry level cameras like the d5100 work like and function photo quality wise like the higher end cameras.

That first thing is probably very much possible, and I think it would be a great idea. The last two ideas (ISO sensitivity and resolution) are not possible, because they are hardware-bound. You wouldn't be able to enhance those without replacing the sensor (something that would be likely impossible).
sensi277

Postby Fried Crispy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:57 am

How about a defeat on that block with some lenses that will not let you shoot with their aperture ring in anything other than the highest/darkest setting?
Fried Crispy

Postby hovgaard » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:48 pm

Focus point lock!

I only ever want to use the centre focus point. I have been using my D70s with the focus point locked for about a decade. I now have a D5100, which doesn't have focus point lock. When I carry the camera around with its strap over my shoulder, or generally handle it in the field, I invariably end up accidentally pushing the multi selector, and the focus point moves. This may sound like a minor inconvenience, but it's really bugging me, to the point that the D70s is still my main camera.

The feature I propose is really simple: Disable the multi selectors ability to change focus point. This could be selectable as an option in the online patching tool, I don't need an in-camera option. No need to disable the ok-buttons ability to centre the focus point.

I really want to like the D5100. I will donate for this feature.

BR & love your work!
Hovgaard
hovgaard

Postby Fried Crispy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:28 pm

Would something be possible to adjust the ISO to match the lighting changes caused by adjusting the F-stop?
Fried Crispy

Postby Tommy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:03 pm

I'm doing a bit of macro work as of late, with extension tubes and reversal ring and what not. However, when I slapped a CPL filter on the viewfinder became impossibly dark. Would it be possible to make the af assist light turn on when in manual mode, by hacking the firmware?
Tommy

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests and Help