D800 / D800E Feature Requests

Wouldn't it be cool if we could make our camera do ________ ?
Patching issues and other general help requests here please.

Re: Deadline is 1pm today -- prolonged recording D800

Postby trumanhw » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:03 pm

Thank you very much. That finally explains it. How stupid of nikon...is it a 32 bit file format? It totally negates my entire reason for buying the camera. But the time I lower the quality in so many ways to reduce the odds I'll miss re-starting the recording it'll be hardly better than the camcorder -- and on top of that, if I miss re-starting it ONCE it'll probably be one of the most important moments knowing how this has happened in the past.

Do you think there's any hope for a revision that resolves that?
trumanhw

Postby trumanhw » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:03 pm

Thank you very much. That finally explains it. How stupid of nikon...is it a 32 bit file format? It totally negates my entire reason for buying the camera. But the time I lower the quality in so many ways to reduce the odds I'll miss re-starting the recording it'll be hardly better than the camcorder -- and on top of that, if I miss re-starting it ONCE it'll probably be one of the most important moments knowing how this has happened in the past.

Do you think there's any hope for a revision that resolves that?
trumanhw

Postby skiibojosh » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:58 am

Hope? Yes. Relatively anytime soon? No. Most of the effort of the site is focused on the D5100 right now. But, it seems completely plausible. What did you end up using?
skiibojosh

D800 Cine-aspect crops ratio workflow

Postby kerasos » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:03 am

It would be really interesting to abilities via firmware the 1,2x Crop Factor for recording 1080p24 video-stream.
With the normal firmware i can record at 1x and at 1,5x in video live-view mode, but for photo i can use the 1,2x too...

why? cos for d-cinema the 1,2 crop sensor (30x20mm) is almost similar to the new RED DRAGON sensor dimension, this would mean more cine-like image.

Some ideas about this hack?

This is my first post

Grazie per l'attenzione.
Kerasos
Last edited by kerasos on Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
kerasos

Re: D800 Cine-aspect crops ratio workflow

Postby nikkor » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:20 am

The cropfactor won't make your images more cinemalike. 1.5x crop is equivalent to classic s35mm.
nikkor

Postby kerasos » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:38 am

nikkor wrote:The cropfactor won't make your images more cinemalike. 1.5x crop is equivalent to classic s35mm.

i'n not so sure about that. If there's a chance to record video or raw with 1,2x crop-factor that would be a nice upgrade.
kerasos

Postby mutofuto » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:14 pm

kerasos wrote:
nikkor wrote:The cropfactor won't make your images more cinemalike. 1.5x crop is equivalent to classic s35mm.

i'n not so sure about that. If there's a chance to record video or raw with 1,2x crop-factor that would be a nice upgrade.

:text-yeahthat: :teasing-blah:

Nikkor's almost right, 1.5x crop on a FX sensor, or a DX sensor without crop, is NEARLY the same as Super35 film standard. S35 sensor is slightly bigger than Nikon DX sensor. S35 is a lot bigger than Canon APS-C (DX) sensor. https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3867/143 ... 53d3_z.jpg

RED Dragon sensor, on the other hand, is a lot bigger than industry standard S35. Therefore people have difficulties finding lenses for it's 6K mode, that have a big CoC (Circle of Confusion) for the larger-than-standard sensor. RED has never made a true cinema camera. There's all these different crops, and every god damn resolution uses a different sized portion of the sensor.

If you think that RED cameras are the best ever, you've probably never even had a RED in your hands. Well, good for you. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
mutofuto

Postby kerasos » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:33 am

mutofuto wrote: RED Dragon sensor, on the other hand, is a lot bigger than industry standard S35. Therefore people have difficulties finding lenses for it's 6K mode, that have a big CoC (Circle of Confusion) for the larger-than-standard sensor. RED has never made a true cinema camera. There's all these different crops, and every god damn resolution uses a different sized portion of the sensor.

If you think that RED cameras are the best ever, you've probably never even had a RED in your hands. Well, good for you. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

don't be confused about Circle of Confusion: it's strictly related to a human measurement.. i don't think it is a neck of bottle for lenses.. e good photographic lens full frame it's sufficient to cover Dragon's sensor.

https://support.red.com/entries/2592070 ... ON-sensor-

I have had the Red One Misteryum-X camera in my hand, Arri Alexa-65 too..
I love Arri but i think the future for the dimensions of sensors is a quite most large than a s35mm standard, like the Dragon's is (a middle way to 70mm standard).
But it's just my point of view, and RED's Too.

http://blog.abelcine.com/wp-content/upl ... ors_13.jpg
kerasos

Postby nikkor » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:16 am

What's wrong with fullframe?
nikkor

Postby kerasos » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:41 am

the tips, the tricks, is to work in the center of the lenses.. photographic lenses are made to cover all the full frame but the best performance of the most of all type of lenses are concentrated just a little bit inside the corner perimeter of themselves.

The APS-H standard is the future for cinematography.
look at this at page 6.
http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photog ... lenses.pdf

really Interesting.

So my question is: according to you all, with all the help i can made, it's possible to abilities the 1,2x crop mode for video recording?

We take ever the best things of that we have.
kerasos

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests and Help