D800 / D800E Feature Requests

Wouldn't it be cool if we could make our camera do ________ ?
Patching issues and other general help requests here please.

D800 / D800E Feature Requests

Postby Adamoscar » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:03 pm

Hey there Simeon!

First id like to say Thank you for doing this Finally someone is giving us Nikon lovers Something to compete with Magic lantern
I say this has a Photographer and Cinematographer!

Are we gonna get raw video????

Features i would like to see!!!

df: video mode

D800:
RAW
more bitrate!
ZEbra
2k/4k
tempture reading

d4:
can this machine not handle raw video 4k? i know it doesnt have a fan...
Adamoscar

MOVED: RAW video!!! Where are you guys going with this?

Postby Adamoscar » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:10 pm

Dear Simeon

Some small questions/suggestions:
Are you meaning to focus on higher end cameras?
d800 d4 d3s etc...
Because i think this customer base is just waiting for someone like you
to give us features like raw and Perhaps 2k/4k

stuff the lower end nikons would never handle anyways...

I want to donate very much but first so i know how much i would like to understand
whats high on your priority list

if you where to answer me :
RAW
Zebra
testing high end Cameras and benchmarking what can actully happen with this hardware

because i belive a d800 can hold its own against a red one.

And i think high end is where your wealthier more eager client base
(im not wealthy but very eaager!!!)

Also Test footages of raw d800/d4 Will go virale!!!!!
that will be a huge marketing move for you guys!!

This is my work
im willing to invest!

lower end cameras are not owend
by people willing to invest.

So please im really interested to know what your plan of action is?

how soon or late can i have raw video on my d800?

and how can i help make this happen??

:text-thankyoublue:

Adam

500px.com/eggdead
Adamoscar

Re: D800/

Postby Simeon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:33 pm

Firstly it's not just me doing this work, I release the patches, but by no means do more effort than the other core developers. Really this is a team effort.

Yes more video features would be good, and the D800 seems to be well placed for that market.
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby Adamoscar » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Well When I say you i guess I mean Nikonhacker group,
Which from What i know you are running,
But i do mean all of you

So is there a Gameplan?
or do u just patch in whatever gets made?

basicly i think the real question is
What would it take to Get Raw video working on a nikon (d800 :D)
has good or better then magic lantern for the canon?
and when?

I think that's the elephant in the room
and the main feature your real core audience is waiting for

also being new to this website I have yet to see any Information from people who have put the hack on the d800
and have yet to tried it on my camera (i cant afford to brick it) and obviously you guys will need a few to brick on the way getting raw video out of it.... i Guess.

This is a fast moving market .
next year there might allready be a consumer camera shooting Raw out of the box
you never know,

But i think me and allot of people would be quiet happy to invest in You "guys" and in doing so invest in our current gear (and not the next line of cameras)
to get Pro features that obviously our hardware can handle,

Also when u start rolling this stuff out that's when the big shots(youtube blogers) (famous photographers)
will feature you on there test video's Bringing in a load of traffic with it.

Hell if you need someone on the team to build a game plan im in!
I think as a working photographer with only a basic idea of computer algorithms but very extensive knowledge of what photography features the market wants , whats lacking, Whats booming, and most importantly what makes a difference.

there's so many different gaps that can be filled with this kind of technology but if you focus on the right ones u can get a very extensive and interested following,,,

and by following im including all the current canon shooters that will switch over to nikon once it has raw video capability (nikkor glass rules)
(hell im surprised nikon corp aren't anonymously donating you large sums just for that reason alone)

d5200 is a family camera not many dads have time to hack into it...
slightly more serious cameras are where people are pushing the liimits...

Whats the forecast'?
Adamoscar

Postby Simeon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:29 pm

There is a chicken and an egg. I am a developer by trade, so I understand all wild ass guesses for a crazy non-binding estimate, are binding.

I'm also aware that we are doing this in our spare time, and I cannot therefore count of fourty+ engineering hours from each team member, or for that matter any hours because we all have real lives too. Then there are posting to forums with suck tiny drops of time and effort.

So ignoring that I don't know the available gender neutral man power to throw at this problem (it the divisor is the time equations). The other part is how much effort will it take to do X. The problems is it's not like we are doing half X some we just need to double the FPS or something, there is a giant chain of events that need to happen before RAW Video could happen, even assuming the hardware could do it in some form.

so time = hours of effort / hours of power per time unit.

Thus very large divided by very small equals huge amount of time.
Plus I don't want to sell people the idea that giving us money now we will be able in two months to do X because I don't know those answers.

A metaphor, to date we have a sound system that plays MP3 files, and when we add duct tape to the side of the speaker it rattles less, and sounds better, but I don't know how much effort is required for the system is to be able to play AAC uncompressed 96khz audio, it's just too hard to estimate, even thought that would be really good if it did.

You make great points, I get people want faster progress, I'm also surprised Nikon isn't helping, but it takes time to connect that Cannon might be having success due to ML and that Nikon should assist us to help themselves.

Anyways I'm off to stare at code and have some fun...
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby astronomer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Adamoscar wrote:What would it take to Get Raw video working on a nikon (d800 :D)
and when?

Personally i don't think D800 will be better than 5Dmk3 even we managed to get raw streaming. Reason is simple, a 36mp sensor is specifically for high resolution still photography. The readout from it is simply too slow, only 5FPS for entire sensor. 5Dmk3 on the other hand, has incorperated an additional transister to combine the charge before readout, allowing better sensitivity and reduced aliasing.

Adamoscar wrote:next year there might allready be a consumer camera shooting Raw out of the box
you never know,

In this case, it might just be better to buy one instead. ;)

Adamoscar wrote:and by following im including all the current canon shooters that will switch over to nikon once it has raw video capability (nikkor glass rules)
(hell im surprised nikon corp aren't anonymously donating you large sums just for that reason alone)

What makes you think nikon lens are better? In fact, Canon lens are usually better in terms of optics. I do astrophotography and we push the optics to its limit. You are basically looking at a point light source thus any optical imperfection, design or not, will be visible. A lot of nikkor lens has huge chromatic aberration and Nikon has not release new version since. Even they release, the price is usually higher than canon lens besides exclusion of aperture actuation motor in nikkor lens. Sony sensors do better in terms of still.

Adamoscar wrote:d5200 is a family camera not many dads have time to hack into it...
slightly more serious cameras are where people are pushing the liimits...

We are under funded and short of hands, most of the developers use their own camera for testing. It's risky to do blind development and let green hands do the testing for us. Besides, it might be more reasonable to fully understand one model and apply it to the others, than trying to blindly search every models but gets little understanding.

Best,
astronomer
astronomer
Developer

Postby Adamoscar » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:42 am

astronomer wrote:
Adamoscar wrote:What would it take to Get Raw video working on a nikon (d800 :D)
and when?

Personally i don't think D800 will be better than 5Dmk3 even we managed to get raw streaming. Reason is simple, a 36mp sensor is specifically for high resolution still photography. The readout from it is simply too slow, only 5FPS for entire sensor. 5Dmk3 on the other hand, has incorperated an additional transister to combine the charge before readout, allowing better sensitivity and reduced aliasing.

Out of the box video is sharper on the d800 then the mark 3 also in dx mode u are using a much smaller part of the sensor and u can use pixel by pixel for video with no line gaps...
5fps for the entire sensor is for full rez stills im sure it can do more....

In the big old world of cinema and stills nikorr lenses are rearguard sharper and more pleasseing by many, i guess everyone is aloud there own taste,
and i prefer nikon glass :) or i wouldn't be here typing these words and i would have never went with Nikon at the first place,

the ability to use ai lenses and go back in time before they "camera corps" started using so much plastic.
sure canon have some old lenses but u need like 3 adapters to use them

Adamoscar wrote:next year there might allready be a consumer camera shooting Raw out of the box
you never know,

In this case, it might just be better to buy one instead. ;)

BLACK MAGIC is allready out.. but personaly i need lenses and its still 4/3 sensor
not my cup of tea...

There is no reason why canon shoot raw video and nikon cant.
i think thats the only place u need to combine your efforts
and really Try.

All im saying is What your Real market needs wants and Why they are trading in there nikons for canons.

RAW video

everything else is cute. but not worth donating for,
not for people working with there cameras...

sure higher bit-rate is cute...
but i dare not even install it on my camera before its been tested properly.

Adam
Adamoscar

Postby coderat » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:58 am

Adamoscar wrote:All im saying is What your Real market needs wants and Why they are trading in there nikons for canons.

Which part of "non-profit" doesn't fit in your head? We are not on the market. You are in wrong forum.
coderat
Core Developer

Postby LPowell » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:28 am

Have to agree with many of Astronomer's points about the impracticality of RAW video streaming to SD or CF card on the D800. In addition to the hugely ambitious nature of such a project, the bandwidth required for 36Mpix @ 24 fps is enormous. That fact alone makes the D800 a problematic choice - the D4, D7000, or D5100 would be far more practical candidates for RAW video streaming.

What makes the D800 a good video camera are several exclusive features:

* Full control of aperture in Live View mode.
* Real-time Live View histogram.
* Live View horizon leveling meter.
* FF and APS-C video frame modes.
* Stepless aperture control (but not during recording).
* 4GB file-spanning
* Excellent high-ISO dynamic range with low noise.

What really begs to be hacked on the D800:

* Lack of auto-ISO in Manual exposure video mode.
* Access to ISO Sensitivity Settings submenu in video Live View mode.
* Lack of stepless aperture control while recording video.
* Volatile and useless A and B settings banks.

The volatile nature of the D800 A and B settings banks is probably too entrenched to easily hack into something like the U1 and U2 modes on the D7000 and D600. A useful alternative would be a hack that makes the A bank the default, and automatically switches in the B bank when you enter Video Live View mode. (Ideally, both the Shooting Menu bank and the Custom Settings Menu bank, but auto-switching just the Shooting Menu bank would be good enough.) This would keep your photo and video settings in separate banks, without requiring any maintenance on the user's part. It would be great if it also remembered and restored the PASM mode you last used for photo and video shooting.
LPowell

Postby Adamoscar » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:53 pm

coderat wrote:Which part of "non-profit" doesn't fit in your head? We are not on the market. You are in wrong forum.

Profit or not this is a real revolution and it shouldn't aspire then less then what it can be,
Im only thinking of ways to help you generate donations because i know cameras are expensive to brick and i understand from what i hear that u aren't being heavily funded as of yet.

And this is the only forum that i know of that is getting close to touching the matters at hand.
if u know of a better forum to get me closer to my dream of 16bit 444 video (in whatever rez) from the d800 please redirect me there....

but as far as i can tell you guys are the closest thing, and there sure is a great need for you to become the actual thing!

fixing the memory banks on the d800 is also nice but no game changer,
LPowell wrote:Have to agree with many of Astronomer's points about the impracticality of RAW video streaming to SD or CF card on the D800. In addition to the hugely ambitious nature of such a project, the bandwidth required for 36Mpix @ 24 fps is enormous. That fact alone makes the D800 a problematic choice - the D4, D7000, or D5100 would be far more practical candidates for RAW video streaming.

im pretty sure;
its all a question of when the information gets wraped into a format before or after the downsampling...
im guessing after and that it just skips the relevent lines so its no biggie it just gets 180 lines of rez to wrap into DNGs or whatever...

im also pretty sure the biggest downsize of the 36 megapixel sensor is lack of sensitivity to low light

the DX crop mode the shoot video is a majour plus on the d800
ive shot pleanty video on the d800 and it resolved fine sharp details much finner then the mark 2 unhacked,
its line skipping alows for a much sharper image then the mark3s pixel shaving and digital sharping... im not saying give me 36mp video 2k would be fine enough indeed... i think its an excellent candidate along with the d4 for raw video(which will have 95% the same code as the d800 inside it anyways) so they should be done as one, and his fat brother....

another thing ive been meaning to ask is the 64mbs crack working for the time lapse so i get higher bit rate time lapses out of the camera?
and can there be more slow motion? or slowmotion in fullhd?
im sure the d800/d4 have enough processing power to give us slow motion in 1080p? they do 60fps nice enough in 720
can we look forward to higher fps like 120?
Adamoscar

Next

Return to Feature Requests and Help