D5200 Feature Requests

Wouldn't it be cool if we could make our camera do ________ ?
Patching issues and other general help requests here please.

Re: D5200 Feature Requests

Postby ab1jx » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:59 am

This is probably more of a wiring than software thing, but charging the battery from a USB connection? Coming from the Coolpix world it was hard to believe the camera runs on batteries while connected.

Being able to select the 5 second timer as the default release mode, not to have to select it every shot. I almost always use my tripod and do landscape photography.

ARM? Great, let's get Linux on there. :)
ab1jx

D5200 can not turn on the Live View

Postby baixm » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:22 am

I have a question about the Live View.
My D5200 can not turn on the Live View or Play back mode. After google the error, I know the mechanism of turn on the Live View or Play back mode is :
1) Once the D5200 want to start Live View or Play back mode, it will check the status of pin 1 of USB cable firstly.
2) If pin 1 is low, it means the AV (or USB) cable is connected to the camera, then the Live View is forbidden.
3) Once pin 1 is high, the Live View can be turned on.

Because I used a wrong USB cable, and the hardware (I guess the Pin of the MCU which is connected to pin 1 of USB is broken). So I can not turn on the Live View now.
I am thinking if it is possible to skip the checking of pin 1 before start Live View in the firmware. Therefore, I can turn on the Live View even the hardware is broken.

Thank you very much.
baixm

Postby ab1jx » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:27 pm

This isn't camera-specific but applies to anything with manual focus. Some indicator like a bar graph, hijack a physical meter maybe for showing the standard deviation as an indicator of focus. I do critical focusing now by looking at zoomed-in LiveView but when I can barely see the viewfinder (because of sunlight on it) it doesn't work very well. Just to review, standard deviation is the average deviation from the average, it's what enfuse uses when focus stacking as a focus indicator. The meter could be activated when live view is zoomed, and only needs to calculate based on what's showing at that zoom level, not the whole image.
ab1jx

Postby MCH » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:35 pm

D5200 - Feature Requests
After reviewing this site and trying the firmware to record video in raw format which worked really well, but I think we can find a way to really improve the Nikon Camera and Videography experience. Mode like Magic Lantern style plus extra menus and features would be amazing to have on Nikons as Nikons have a much better image processor then Canon but Nikon needs to brush up. I wouldn't mind paying 10-20 dollars to download the mods. But needs to work efficiently, safe to recover back to original factory and safe not to damage camera. (at our own risk of course.)

Feature Requests for Nikon D5200 and all Nikons in General.

1. live view in manual mode to have any shutter speed, not capped at 1/60 which sucks !!
2. Allow non-CPU lens to give menu and automatic adjustable settings for shutter speed and ISO in non-CPU lens. (manual, Aperture and automatic and automatic with flash)
3. Features to allow 64 mbps video, regular video and other options (more options the better)
4. Allow to shoot lossless still images and NEF compression or other various options
5. Magic Lantern types of controls and even more modifications of features and connectivity to PC/MAC/ for live video (USB, Wireless)
Etc... the more features the better, we need more features in the software... maybe to automatically add options for various image and video compression formats

Is it possible to put this together in a firmware mod. ? maybe someone familiar in Nikon camera code needs to put it together.
MCH

Postby Fried Crispy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:17 pm

^^I'm not with him.
I just want to make that clear to anyone reading the above thankless and unappreciative disrespect :D

FYI MCH, these guys all make many times over with extra zeros added and are not dong this for the money. Your $10-$20 at the cost of reading that list of demands is an insult, any sum attached to answering that belittling would be an insult.
You are insulting all of them.
And they are the best and only, "someone familiar in Nikon camera code" outside of Nikon.
Be thankful for what has been achieved.
if you knew what it involved to get this far, you would better realize what was shared to you.

Or, you can go off, learn firmware programming, decryption, and build your own deconstruction and simulators.
Fried Crispy

Postby MCH » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:03 pm

fried crispy creme, since you have probably never offered to pay for anything from the Internet. And that your mouth over exceeds your intellect.

Did you donate to nikon hacker ?

Do you realise it takes time to develop programming code.

As stated before, to pay 10- 20 dollars (or cheaper) per mod, and if you use over 5-10 mods for a camera (50-200 dollars per user) that would generate a lot revenue for this group, especially if there is 500,000 willing users plus the millions of other nikon users looking for features.

Your insults are poor and narrowly thought out.

Maybe you should develop volunteer programming code or to open source programs and see how well you feel that after all this time, many people downloaded but nobody paid.

I offer to pay, I was a programmer for many years. I seek to support, what did you seek to do exactly ? You asked for free software ?
MCH

Postby Fried Crispy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:51 am

I did donate as a matter of a fact, and I did not feel it necessary to mention it for any ego dividend.
I have benefited greatly, but had I not, I still would not dangle some figure in front of any individual for anything less than half their yearly salary. BECAUSE, IT IS INSULTING.

Thanks for playing, but all I see you doing is reposting my comments concerning the education and work required to perform what has already been achieved here.
More importantly (to me), your attempt to try and flip the shame of your behavior onto me was very unsuccessful.

You should probably shut-up and be thankful I am not a moderator here.
There used to be a donate button with a fixed price; I recommend finding something similar and make a payment before you try and continue this ridiculous thread with me.
Fried Crispy

Postby scalcapone » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:30 am

Would it be possible to create a hack which allows earlier models of the d5000 series (i.e d5100, d5200 etc) to turn off VR when using AF-P lenses which were designed for more recent iterations of the D5000 series?
scalcapone

Previous

Return to Feature Requests and Help