D750 Feature Requests

Wouldn't it be cool if we could make our camera do ________ ?
Patching issues and other general help requests here please.

Re: D750 Feature Requests

Postby soobash » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:06 am

The Nikon D750 is a fantastic camera. Am loving it.

I have 3 request which concerns shooting ergonomics:

1/ I absolutely love the U1, U2 mode. Can the mode dial be hacked so that the other 4 modes of EFFECT, SCENE, NO FLASH SIGN and AUTO (which I don't use ) be used as extra U modes , like U3, U4, U5, U6.

I am upgrading from the nikon D700. I like the way the D700 can be controlled by just looking at the top LCD (just like the iconic film SLRs, where all the controls are on the top). The Nikon D750 is closer to film slrs by its slimness, small size and weight.

I have configure the movie record button to be ISO, but still it is not easy to toggle to auto ISO like in the D700 where one looks at the top of the camera , press the ISO button with the left hand and flip the front or back dial with the right hand. Also there is no dedicated White balance button on top. I program the Preview button on the front of the camera to call the first item in my menu and in my menu I set the first item as white balance. But I still have to flip the camera to look at the rear screen. Also the top screen only displays the sub-menu for white balance, the main menu for White Balance is displayed only in the rear LCD.

So my second and third request is :

2/ Can the top LCD be hacked to show both the main menu and sub-menu of WB so that it ca be changed via a button press and changing via the front and rear dial.

3/ This follows the first and second request:

Can the mode dial be hacked so that the other 4 modes of EFFECT, SCENE, NO FLASH SIGN and AUTO (which I don't use ) be used as extra menu calling buttons, like ISO , White balance and Quality just like the nikon D700 has dedicated buttons for this.

That is a long list of requests. I feel the first request will be easiest to implement.

Many thanks,

Soobash
soobash

Postby soobash » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:17 am

I have to add that even if the nikon D750 is programmed to have a dedicated ISO button, one needs to press the play button to override the image display function which has priority when an image is being display.

This means after a shoot and quick look at the image one need to hit the play button with the left thumb to get out of display mode and then the ISO button , which ever it is , can be activated This is due to the original ISO button being shared between the playback controls.

(So a way must be found to make the ISO, WB and QUAL button to be priority buttons)

This is all inherited from the D7000 series. Nikon's intent would have been to lure the D7000s users to upgrade to FX with a familiar control. But Nikon named this camera D750 which is a heavy legacy and builds up so much expectation. The D750 is a worthy successor with lousy controls.
I hope Nikon Hacker can make the control more worthy of a D700 successor.
soobash

Re: D750 30 Minute Video Hack Anyone?

Postby RRRoger » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:29 am

webpagepub wrote:Hey everyone. Have any of you heard of a hack yet for the D750? I am a videographer and I shoot videos sometimes 2 or 3 hours long. I love how the Nikon D750 has 2 SD Card slots (for this very reason) but if I am limited to 20 or 30 minutes then the D750 is worthless to me. Has anybody heard of any successful hacks on the D750 that removed the 20 or 30 minute recording time limit allowing you to record for longer than an hour (or until you run out of disk space)?

You can improve the codec and record time by going to an external recorder.
I used a dummy battery and 7Q+ to go over 3 hours uninterrrupted. :cool:
RRRoger

AF Fine Automatic D750

Postby pollino » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:44 am

On Nikon D5 inserted operation Fine Automatic AF, as you can see in the accompanying video, we put it on the D750?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYXXP9r0oAc
pollino

Postby eatit007 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:20 am

30 min limit is causing problems to me. A friend suggested that using an external recorder will solve it. But from what I read online they make huge files. 100gb for 1 hour as compared to 10 gb on a dslr. Any suggestions guys ?
eatit007

Postby RRRoger » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:05 pm

If you externally record with ProRes LT the quality is still better than internally and file size is manageable.
RRRoger

Postby Ovodovich » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:47 am

Hello! What about video limit? 20-30 minutes too little.
Ovodovich

Postby RRRoger » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:28 am

Ovodovich wrote:Hello! What about video limit? 20-30 minutes too little.

If you are recording a Church sermon or 3 games of bowling you will need more than 1 hour.
I use and external recorder and dummy batteries to record over 3 hours continuous unattended.
RRRoger

Postby Ovodovich » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:47 am

RRRoger wrote:If you are recording a Church sermon or 3 games of bowling you will need more than 1 hour.
I use and external recorder and dummy batteries to record over 3 hours continuous unattended.

But I can not overcome the automatic restriction. When recording 60 frames / second - 10 minutes. When recording of 24 frames / second - 20 minutes. How to get around this limitation? I just probably still poorly understand. I tried to find firmware for Nikon D750, but unsuccessful.
By the way, on Sunday just recording a Church sermon. :grin:
Ovodovich

Postby RRRoger » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:26 am

Ovodovich wrote:
RRRoger wrote:If you are recording a Church sermon or 3 games of bowling you will need more than 1 hour.

But I can not overcome the automatic restriction. When recording 60 frames / second - 10 minutes. When recording of 24 frames / second - 20 minutes. How to get around this limitation? I just probably still poorly understand. I tried to find firmware for Nikon D750, but unsuccessful.
By the way, on Sunday just recording a Church sermon. :grin:

I don't record internally while recording externally.
The camera has to be in live view video mode to record "unlimited" both sound and movies on the external recorder.
RRRoger

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests and Help