Firmware Patch v1.0

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Re: Firmware Patch v1.0

Postby amx002 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 pm

I'm using D5100 with patched firmware. It's seem working fine.

However, I'm using 64GB SDXC memory with exFat. I'm just curious that the time limit could be removed completely as exFat has bigger maximum file size.
amx002

Postby 4cc3ss » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:50 pm

stuge wrote:
The Nikon may attempt to estimate before recording if there will be sufficient space available for the movie, but any such estimate will always be incorrect since video

I'm sure it does, that's what gives us the different record times on the quality of the movie, somewhere along the lines Simeon as also mentioned this i think.

Just waiting for this recording to finish then i'll know for sure, if it's corrupting,, then i need some sleep.
4cc3ss
Core Developer

Postby 4cc3ss » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:06 pm

3rd time now recording for 25mins with a 8gb sdhc, 23mins into recording shutter error.
4cc3ss
Core Developer

Postby amx002 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:20 am

Successfully record at 1080p 30fps 24:18 minutes. File size 3.31GB.

Quite warm around LCD and area around memory card slot.
amx002

Postby 4cc3ss » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:17 am

This time i recorded 20 mins into the 25,file size 2.7gb, so it's not even reaching 4gb. it's roughly 671.2mb to 5 min of recording, so final size should be around 3.3gb

D3100
1920x1080p 24fps
4cc3ss
Core Developer

Postby Simeon » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:48 am

stuge wrote:
xbern wrote:so when are we expecting the d7000 release?

Very easy: When you create it.

Relax Stuge, I mention in my blog post that I had the D7000 location identified, so it's a legitimate question.
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby Simeon » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:52 am

I first need to build the patch, which I was waiting for someone to volunteer to test, then I'll release public, after first result pass.
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby matt » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:01 pm

Simeon wrote:

I first need to build the patch, which I was waiting for someone to volunteer to test, then I'll release public, after first result pass.

I think I'd be willing to test that. I'm assuming the best way to start is to reduce the limit to a couple of minutes and test that first, correct? Since that's how you started on the D5100.

As for the heat issues, I do know for a fact that I have run my D7000 for 80 minutes straight on 720p HQ, twice I think. (That would be four 20 minutes clips with 1-2 seconds delay between each clip.) I have run the camera for 50-60 minutes (3 clips) probably four or five times. The camera gets warm to the touch, perhaps 10-15c above ambient temperatures, but I've not yet had the overheating warning. I don't know if this sort of heat is similar to what the Canon DSLRs produce, but I was comfortable with letting it get that warm. Someone did point out that it would probably shorten the life of the sensor in the long run, but for the times that I need long recording for event video I think it's worth it. Food for thought.

So do we get the idea that there is an existing file size check somewhere in the original firmware? That would be reassuring. Just off the top of my head I think the biggest files I've gotten so far are probably around 3GB or maybe a bit over.

And to whoever mentioned exFAT, having a file system capable of storing files greater than 4GB is worthless if the OS cannot handle files greater than 4GB. If the OS is working in 32-bit address space for example, it's going to run out of addresses around 4GB anyway. One would have to implement some sort of Physical Address Extension or something to handle > 4GB.
matt

Postby stuge » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:20 pm

matt wrote:I was comfortable with letting it get that warm. Someone did point out that it would probably shorten the life of the sensor in the long run, but for the times that I need long recording for event video I think it's worth it. Food for thought.

I wouldn't worry. I will not worry about my 3100.

to whoever mentioned exFAT, having a file system capable of storing files greater than 4GB is worthless if the OS cannot handle files greater than 4GB. If the OS is working in 32-bit address space for example, it's going to run out of addresses around 4GB anyway. One would have to implement some sort of Physical Address Extension or something to handle > 4GB.

No, the entire file isn't held in memory, at most it's just a few frames, which get written out in a streaming fashion, and new frames compressed in memory, and repeat. The filesystem layer can be viewed as an address translation layer. Consider that you use >4 GB capacity cards in the 32-bit machine without problems.
stuge

Postby matt » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:42 pm

No, the entire file isn't held in memory, at most it's just a few frames, which get written out in a streaming fashion, and new frames compressed in memory, and repeat. The filesystem layer can be viewed as an address translation layer. Consider that you use >4 GB capacity cards in the 32-bit machine without problems.

I understand the file is not held in memory, I wasn't stating that is was. I was, however, under the impression that writing files in an operating system built on 32-bit address space would run into a limit. But I guess the address translation idea solves that. I don't know. To be honest, I don't think I understand the whole concept properly. For example, I know that the 4GB limit is inherent to FAT32, so he problem was solved with filesystems like NTFS and exFAT. But from the things I've read so far (I tried looking into this a few months ago) the cameras currently capable of using exFAT cards still cannot write files over 4GB. Several people pointed to OS limitations as a reason for that.

I really think I am missing something. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? Should popping an exFAT card in your camera inherently allow you to create files over 4GB? If wiser heads than mine could put me straight on this I'd be grateful.

Oh, and my apologies to Simeon if this is getting off topic...
matt

PreviousNext

Return to Firmware