Wanted: (Partially) broken hardware

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Wanted: (Partially) broken hardware

Postby stuge » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 pm

We will need to unbrick cameras at some point so I'd like to look at that. Quick search on eBay doesn't really show any "for parts" auctions for D3100 (my primary interest) or D5100 (Simeon and maybe someone else). I guess this is because the cameras are still pretty new and can be returned under warranty in case of problems.

I'll look around locally for a repair shop that has some hardware and keep you updated, but I honestly don't really expect to find much.. I'll also talk to a friend who has a dealership. Let's see.

Any ideas or leads on cheap hardware which at least executes code would be most welcome.

(This isn't about Firmware but there was no better fitting forum. Feel free to add one and move post around.)
stuge

Re: Wanted: (Partially) broken hardware

Postby Simeon » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:21 pm

I've been watching ebay, and there have been a couple of D3100 and D5100 but they have been selling for $200 - $300USD. And even D70 sell for $100+ at times. Which more than I want to pay for a toy to brake. (These are all camera's that are physically broken).
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby BRi7X » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:48 pm

Out of curiosity, say you get a bricked or somehow broken, cheaper D3100... Would any work done then possibly translate to, say, a D7000?
BRi7X

Postby Simeon » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:38 am

BRi7X wrote:Out of curiosity, say you get a bricked or somehow broken, cheaper D3100... Would any work done then possibly translate to, say, a D7000?

There's a couple of styles of work to be done.
A: Work out a how to write file (to dump stuff), how to add new menu's, how to save "settings", what area's of memory are 'safe' to inject code into.

B: tweak sensor timer, counter, control outputs, for things like max fps in movie mode, or how many EV steps a burst takes.

The A things feel to me like they are independent of the camera model, the code bases are very similar. The B tasks relies of the former being done, unless we want changes that are on full time.

So Yes a D40, D70, D80, D300S, D3100, D5100, D7000 that powers on, card read/write work, display work, and most the buttons work, would be useful. If you could get then for sub $50 then you could play pretty lose, but as the tend to sell in the $100-$300 range, you still want to work carefully as it's not cheap to brick units through experimentation...
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby stuge » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:00 am

BRi7X wrote:Out of curiosity, say you get a bricked or somehow broken, cheaper D3100... Would any work done then possibly translate to, say, a D7000?

I'm interested in looking at the electronics in order to unbrick cameras and possibly also to find a convenient method for testing code. As long as the hardware is similar, such work can be translated easily across models. I guess 3100 and 5100 are more similar, but 7000 might be more different? Although the similarities in firmware discovered so far suggest that also hardware may be similar.

Basically need the hardware first to tell, but it is certainly a possibility.
stuge

Postby Vicne » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:31 pm

As far as I know, 5100 and 7000 are really very similar.
Max started a page about hardware comparison on the Wiki here : wiki/Main_Page

Best regards,

Vicne
Vicne
Core Developer

Postby stuge » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:43 pm

stuge wrote:I'll look around locally for a repair shop that has some hardware and keep you updated

The Nikon repair center isn't here in the capital, but in another major city. I'll see if I can get someone to talk to them.

Haven't heard back yet from friend with dealership.

I keep watching eBay.
stuge

Postby mbk » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:53 am

I would chip in with a few bucks for old Nikon hardware, if you would like, 10-20 USD?

I have not found a replacement for my D40 yet, but when I do, you can have that. I live in Denmark, so it would probadly be cheaper to donate money then send a camera.

Sincerely
MBK
mbk

Postby stuge » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:48 am

mbk wrote:I would chip in with a few bucks for old Nikon hardware, if you would like, 10-20 USD?

Thanks! A 5100 body seems to be around $600 so it would take 30 others who chip in. The problem is to organize. I wouldn't feel bad about having a body donated, that I can work on. Obviously no promises, but I tend to know what I'm doing.

mbk wrote:I have not found a replacement for my D40 yet, but when I do, you can have that. I live in Denmark, so it would probadly be cheaper to donate money then send a camera.

That's a great offer! I understand that the D40 is somehow similar to the D5100, and although I really want a 5100 body to give Simeon a way to always recover, and perhaps speed up testing, any recent body is a good start. I come through Denmark sometimes.

The relevant development hardware from Fujitsu is not very affordable. It would obviously be valuable if someone has access to a setup with FR and DSU-4, but I guess they aren't so common.
stuge

Postby leegong » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:47 am

After looking at codes of external hardware interrupts in TX , I guess some of them are responsible for buttons ,for example sub_BFC11534 called by INT0x0 ,
sub_BFC11574 called by INT0x9 ...... , INT0x0 is triggered by PIN0 of Port A , INT0x9 is triggered by PIN 7 of Port 8 ,
I would like to pay USD$100 for a completely broken D5100 to find out what component are connected to PA0 ,P87 ... ,and SCx ,ADx in TMP19A44 also .
It will be great if somebody could give me information about schematic wiring diagram of D5100.
leegong
Core Developer

Return to Firmware