D5200 Information and Live View Timeout Removal

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Re: D5200 Information and Live View Timeout Removal

Postby flutterguy317 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:29 pm

Hi all,

I'm going away for a few days, but I wanted to give a bit of an update. I've been making some progress towards continuous recording on the D5200, but things have been slow. The timeout for recording is set in the 16CMOVRInfoManager class function starting at 0x5016EBDE. There are two values representing the different maximum recording times, 0x124F80 (20 minutes) for recording at 24mbps and 0x1B7358 (29.98 minutes) for recording at 12mbps or at lower resolutions. This number is checked against the remaining disk space by calculating the size based on the current bitrate and adjusting accordingly. There is no check against the 4GB file size limit though, so adjusting the values does actually change the amount of time displayed (and that you can potentially record for). When the 4GB limit is reached, the recording stops (since 32-bit offsets are used) and unfortunately the file might be corrupt (at least the last bit that was recorded). I changed the value to allow for 30 minutes of recording time and was able to record for around 23 minutes before the file became too large, and the camera was unable to play it back (I was able to play it on my computer but didn't check all the way through to see if there was any corruption). To play it safe I wouldn't suggest changing this timeout value, and would probably suggest changing it to a lower value for the 40mbps and 64mbps patches (although I haven't tested to see what happens with them yet).

Instead I'm now poking around the firmware to find where the function that stops recording after the timeout is. Once I find that and the function which actually starts the recording on a new file, I should be able to hook them together so that once the timeout has been hit the recording continues while writing to a new file. Depending on how these are implemented (and what I'm able to change easily) it could either be a seamless transition or a few frames could be dropped (but it's still better than restarting by hand).

Hopefully when I get back I'll be able to dive in again and figure it out!
flutterguy317
Developer

Postby farthammer » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:35 pm

That is awesome!
farthammer

Postby Silversurfer_GER » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:28 am

Thank you for your work :) I am very happy and hope that it will succeed.

:text-thankyoublue:
Silversurfer_GER

Postby rudi_x » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:21 am

Great Work Flutterguy,
I love my D5200 for taking videos and would love to hear an assessment from you:
Would it be easy to modify a shutter Time of 1/25s to the manual Shutter Timings?
The D7100 has this shutter-timing in video mode, but the D5200 misses it, what is annoying in 50Hz/Pal countries, where lights flicker with 1/30s.
So do you think it´s just a flag-bit to enable this shutter speed, or is it more work?
rudi_x

Postby davidweb » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:30 pm

So I'm curious how long Live View will stay live in this mode?
I've patched it and I'm letting it sit here to see, but curious if others have documented it's actual behavior.

My use case is mounting this in my club, and routing the HDMI output into a Blackmagic capture card in my PC for livestreaming purposes.
Will give me much better quality video than the camcorders I'm using now for this purpose if it can stay up for a typical 2-3 hour show.
This is a rare use case I'm guessing, in that I don't care how long the camera can record, just how long it continues to give a live feed to the Blackmagic card.

Thanks for doing this! And thanks for any insight on it's expected behavior.
davidweb

Postby davidweb » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:43 am

So I can answer my own question. It turns off exactly at 3 hours (assuming battery is not a limiting factor).

I happen to have an odd use case for my d5200

I'm interested in using it to live stream from a fixed location in my music venue.

I have it hooked up to a blackmagic capture card via HDMI.

And I bought an AC adapter that replaces the battery so it never dies during use.

So I'm probably the only person who actually hits the 3 hour timeout in the beta firmware (by selecting 15 minutes).

It works beautifully, and turns off at the 3 hour mark just as you'd expect.

Any chance I could pay you to give me a setting that is either unlimited or even just 5 hours?

thanks for figuring this out, and you've enabled a whole new scenario for this terrific camera!
davidweb

Postby maggette » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:45 pm

davidweb wrote:Any chance I could pay you to give me a setting that is either unlimited or even just 5 hours?

I don't know about unlimited but if you want 5 hours, it will be very simple. Just replace 3 hours(10800000ms), with 5 hours (18000000ms)

According to Simeon's code
Code: Select all

2.         Patch[] patch_liveview_no_timeout_15m_b = {

3.                                                     new Patch(1,0x95B4, Sys.BigDwords(900000), Sys.BigDwords(18000000) ),

4.                                                     new Patch(1,0xCEB8, Sys.BigDwords(900000), Sys.BigDwords(18000000) ),

5.                                                     new Patch(1,0x27877C, Sys.BigDwords(900000), Sys.BigDwords(18000000) ),

6.                                                 };

maggette

Postby DD5200 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:26 am

any more info about getting the D5200 to record video continuously? I would love to make this happen on my camera. Any help or insight is greatly greatly appreciated!!! :)
DD5200

Postby MacNikon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:55 am

I have used the no live view time out patch and it works great! I can confirm that the camera stays on for 3 hours, I have been using my d5200 with BalckMagic ATEM
and can record for 3 hours if I want, so any SSD recorder should be able to do the same via the hdmi out port. This is awesome!
One thing is my D5200 sensor has hot pixels all over the place but that happened before I started using the patch although it seems to be
getting worse, I guess it is just slowly dying. I intend to send it in to Nikon and have a new sensor installed. Whats odd is if I go to 1600 ISO which I usually shoot video at
the hot pixels 90 percent anyway completely disappear which is odd. I have used the hell out of this camera, time-lapse, hours of video, etc
so I def got my moneys worth out of the sensor. I also tried clearing it myself so I may to be to blame.
Great work. I used to have to sneak out onstage to turn the cameras live view back on every 30 minutes but no more.
It works like a charm. Thanks so much as I was one of the folks requesting this feature in the firmware hack.

Check out one of my videos, the angle shooting across the stage is the Nikon D5200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuddYaNE320

Cheers!
MacNikon

Postby baixm » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:19 pm

Great work!
I have a question about the Live View.
My D5200 can not turn on the Live View or Play back mode. Once the D5200 want to start Live View or Play back mode, it will check the status of pin 1 of USB cable firstly. If pin 1 is low, it means the cable is connected to the camera, and the Live View is forbidden. Once pin 1 is high, the Live View is turn on. Because I used a wrong USB cable, and the hardware (the Pin of the MCU which is connected to pin 1 of USB is broken). So I am thinking if it is possible to skip the checking of pin 1 before start Live View. Thank you very much.
baixm

PreviousNext

Return to Firmware