Video Hack Question

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Re: Video Hack Question

Postby mutofuto » Thu May 21, 2015 9:05 am

I can't even...

DOES THE RECORDING STOP WHEN YOU REACH 10MIN?

The time counter ONLY displays the time available for the clip that is CURRENTLY being RECORDED. The timer DOES NOT display the space remaining on CARD.
mutofuto

Postby Millenial88 » Fri May 22, 2015 12:27 pm

mutofuto wrote:I can't even...

The time counter ONLY displays the time available for the clip that is CURRENTLY being RECORDED. The timer DOES NOT display the space remaining on CARD.

Yes, the recording stops at the 10minute mark. But a second later, it jumps right back to 10 minutes. I think it has to do with the megabytes more than the card because I experimented with the 64mbps hack with the same exact card and it only gives me ONE 8 minute and 46 second chunk of free video time to play with.
Millenial88

Postby mutofuto » Sat May 23, 2015 12:49 am

You start a recording, and the timer shows 10 minutes. After ten minutes it stops, creating a clip. If you have space remaining on card, you can record a new clip - IF you have more than 4GB of free space, counter shows 10 minutes. If there's less space than 4GB it shows less minutes. Right? :?: :?: :?:

All firmwares have a FILE SIZE LIMIT. File size cannot be more than 4Gb. No matter of the file system. Hack won't help that.

Maximum clip lenghts (in theory):
36Mbps hack -> 15min 10s (I get 13min 27s)
54Mbps hack ~> 10min 6s
64Mbps hack -> 8min 32s

These bitrate/time combinations give you about a 4GB file. After that, you can start a new recording. And then, a new one. And a new one, and a new one, and a new one, and a new one, and a new one, and a new one, and a new one, until you run out of space on your card. Original Nikon firmware behaves exactly the same way. Come on... :doh:
Congratulations for re-inventing the wheel. :banana-wrench:

I have added the above info to wiki/Patch_limitations WHICH SHOULD BE ALWAYS READ AFTER PATCHING.
mutofuto

Postby mutofuto » Sat May 23, 2015 12:52 am

Simeon wrote:it makes no sense.

Seems like it made perfect sense after all? ;)
mutofuto

Postby Geraint » Sun May 24, 2015 11:13 am

Millenial88 wrote:
mutofuto wrote:I can't even...

Yes, the recording stops at the 10minute mark. But a second later, it jumps right back to 10 minutes. I think it has to do with the megabytes more than the card because I experimented with the 64mbps hack with the same exact card and it only gives me ONE 8 minute and 46 second chunk of free video time to play with.

Can you clarify (for my sake, and perhaps others) when your timer has counted down from 10min to 0, and stops recording, does the camera start recording the next 10 minutes by itself (which would be new and odd behaviour) or do you have to press the record button (which is what we'd expect)?
Geraint

Postby astronomer » Sun May 24, 2015 7:16 pm

Attach a youtube video via a cellphone filming the screen during the last 1 minutes of recording will be very helpful.
astronomer
Developer

Postby sensi277 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:04 am

This video is of my D5100 with 54mbps and No Time Limit patches with an ExFAT formatted 16GB SD card...

So it looks like that's behaving as intended. It's going down to 0:00 and then stopping the recording before resetting the timer. That matches up with OP's description. Mystery solved, though the ability to not have the hardcoded time limit on ExFAT formatted cards would be nice, as ExFAT can store files of practically infinite size.
sensi277

Postby sensi277 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:15 pm

Has anyone looked into this? It would be interesting to see if removing the 4GB limit on exFAT-formatted cards would be possible. The way I see it, removing this limitation would mean it would be possible to keep the camera running for more than 8 minutes at a time with the 64mbps hack. The D5100 does look like it supports exFat-formatted cards, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible to implement this feature as a permanent hack. Though, my limited knowledge on the subject means that I'm not sure if you would have to implement a check or something that re-enabled the 4GB limit if a FAT32 SD card is inserted.
sensi277

Postby lain » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:13 am

As I recall, it was found that while the exFAT code supports >4GB files, some other code limits it to 4GB before it reaches the exFAT code (by use of 32bit values).
lain
Developer

Postby Kendalf » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:15 pm

sensi277 wrote:Has anyone looked into this? It would be interesting to see if removing the 4GB limit on exFAT-formatted cards would be possible. The way I see it, removing this limitation would mean it would be possible to keep the camera running for more than 8 minutes at a time with the 64mbps hack. The D5100 does look like it supports exFat-formatted cards, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible to implement this feature as a permanent hack. Though, my limited knowledge on the subject means that I'm not sure if you would have to implement a check or something that re-enabled the 4GB limit if a FAT32 SD card is inserted.

Even if recording above 4GB isn't possible it would be useful to automatically cotinue recording right after recording stops. Someone tell me if it's possible, I'm just giving ideas. :?:
Kendalf

Previous

Return to Firmware