Nikon Patch 1.20.4

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Nikon Patch 1.20.4

Postby Simeon » Mon May 04, 2015 8:29 pm

I have just pushed version 1.20.4 of the online patch tool

This patch includes the "True Dark Current - Menu based" for the D800 1.10 & D7000 1.03 firmware releases. This item replaces the "Color Space Setting" menu item.

Also for the D7000 1.03 is the "Variable Frame Rate" patch, this replaces the "Max continuous release" menu item. Presently I've not merged some private 50 fps patches, so the movie recording will be limited to sub 30 fps. Once the 50 fps patches are blended, you be able to get 45 fps.

Great work from astronomer here.
Simeon
Core Developer
 
Posts: 2573
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:12 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Been thanked: 604 times

Re: Nikon Patch 1.20.4

Postby astronomer » Tue May 05, 2015 8:28 pm

Several known issues and feature with variable frame rate:

1. Like the dark current, it is only transient. Power off or metering sleep will reset. Just reactivate it using the menu. Or setting the auto meter off to a longer value.
2. Mode transition during liveview (zoom in to 1:1 and out, or change recording setting and back, or autofocus) will cause RAM refresh and the frame rate will return to 30FPS. It's due to behavior with the code refreshing part of the calibration table? (Fixed in next version)
3. At low FPS, below 12FPS, the shutter speed is no longer accurate due to avoidance of overflow issue with register and need to lengthening the line time instead of frame time. And each original 1EV is now 2.848 (sqrt(8)) base, no longer two. Shutter speed will cover from almost 360° at 1/30s to minimal of 1 line time at 1/8000.
4. Playback will still be at 30FPS, like a time lapse.
5. Valid setting range is 3~90, check in camera help under English. The function is only affecting 30FPS movie sets (720p30 and 484p30).
6. Sound recording should be turned off because sound is no longer synchronized.
User avatar
astronomer
Developer
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:06 am
Location: US
Been thanked: 291 times

Re: Nikon Patch 1.20.4

Postby whwang » Fri May 08, 2015 1:23 am

Hi,

I am not sure if the dark current tool is working correctly or if I do something wrong. I patched the firmware, and set the meter to unlimited time. In the menu there is an astrophotography page which shows "size priority" and "sensor raw on." I chose either of them and tried taking a very short exposure when the camera is covered. In both cases, the images have the same pink tint. However, the pink tint is not as bright as it was when I used the USB hack (a version I got in early Sep 2014). On the other hand, in both cases, it is not perfectly dark either. Only after I power off the camera and turn it back on, the image is perfectly dark.

Is this correct?

Cheers,
Wei-Hao
whwang
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:17 am
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Nikon Patch 1.20.4

Postby astronomer » Fri May 08, 2015 6:21 am

whwang wrote:Hi,

I am not sure if the dark current tool is working correctly or if I do something wrong. I patched the firmware, and set the meter to unlimited time. In the menu there is an astrophotography page which shows "size priority" and "sensor raw on." I chose either of them and tried taking a very short exposure when the camera is covered. In both cases, the images have the same pink tint. However, the pink tint is not as bright as it was when I used the USB hack (a version I got in early Sep 2014). On the other hand, in both cases, it is not perfectly dark either. Only after I power off the camera and turn it back on, the image is perfectly dark.

Is this correct?

Cheers,
Wei-Hao


Hi Wei-Hao,

This is the expected behavior and in fact a new feature. To improve JPEG preview, I specifically reduced the sensor bias level to 128ADU. Since sony sensor had a very low read noise, even the highest analog gain at ISO1600, the negative half of the distribution will not be clipped at 128ADU. That's why the tint is much darker. Original 600ADU is too conservative.

However, you cannot use the dark/bias/flat taken long time ago to calibrate the light frame using this new firmware due to difference in sensor setting.

In addition, now you could use DX/1.2 crop mode as well. These 2 modes were not included in the last version of the USB tool.

astronomer
User avatar
astronomer
Developer
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:06 am
Location: US
Been thanked: 291 times

Re: Nikon Patch 1.20.4

Postby whwang » Fri May 08, 2015 9:59 am

Thank you. Then I can confirm it works properly on my D800.

Here are two other questions. First, is there any difference between the two options
under astrophotography ("size priority" and "sensor raw on" )?

Also, is the only difference between the new RAW and the old one the bias level?
If so, I can still mix the new and old dark and flat images if I subtract their associated
bias first.

Cheers,
Wei-Hao
whwang
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:17 am
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Nikon Patch 1.20.4

Postby astronomer » Fri May 08, 2015 9:23 pm

whwang wrote:Here are two other questions. First, is there any difference between the two options
under astrophotography ("size priority" and "sensor raw on" )?

No, the original setting for the JPEG compression policy is fixed at what it was. There were instructions if you use the help ("?") key on the camera.
I just traded this menu for Sensor RAW. Pressing whichever will activate it.

whwang wrote:Also, is the only difference between the new RAW and the old one the bias level?
If so, I can still mix the new and old dark and flat images if I subtract their associated
bias first.

I would caution against that. In theory you could, but upon changing black level, The variance in bias might change due to gain difference or whatever non-linearity in the analog circuit inside the image sensor. You might want to compare the bias frame to check how one resembles the other. I just don't have a definitive answer on that.

Best,
astronomer
User avatar
astronomer
Developer
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:06 am
Location: US
Been thanked: 291 times

Re: Nikon Patch 1.20.4

Postby whwang » Fri May 08, 2015 10:52 pm

astronomer wrote:
whwang wrote:I would caution against that. In theory you could, but upon changing black level, The variance in bias might change due to gain difference or whatever non-linearity in the analog circuit inside the image sensor. You might want to compare the bias frame to check how one resembles the other. I just don't have a definitive answer on that.


OK. Just to be safe, I won't do that. But I am curious about this. Does the change of black level also change gain or whateverin the analog circuit? I used to think that the black level change is only something in the processing of the digital data.
whwang
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:17 am
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Nikon Patch 1.20.4

Postby daniele851 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Simeon wrote:I have just pushed version 1.20.4 of the online patch tool

This patch includes the "True Dark Current - Menu based" for the D800 1.10 & D7000 1.03 firmware releases. This item replaces the "Color Space Setting" menu item.

Also for the D7000 1.03 is the "Variable Frame Rate" patch, this replaces the "Max continuous release" menu item. Presently I've not merged some private 50 fps patches, so the movie recording will be limited to sub 30 fps. Once the 50 fps patches are blended, you be able to get 45 fps.

Great work from astronomer here.

Hi all,

I'm waiting an hack for Nikon d7100 since 2 years, but after many discuss in internet about announcement nothing happened, Nikon d7100 is a great camera so, why the hack is avaible only for the d7000?, i saw the list about the compatible devices, but nor in the patch 1.03 nor in 1.04 is compatible for nikon d7100, my question is : Why? What is the decision to exclude this model? I'm not here to pretend but to understand, after too many money spent to buy a Dlsr like this, and see the d7000 and the others have been unlocked, make me very sad, i don't want sell it for have a Canon, because i don't like that quality, i was hoping the one day waiting 1 or 2 years finally will happen but no way, thank you for your answers.

Bye Daniele
daniele851
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 3:00 pm
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Nikon Patch 1.20.4

Postby astronomer » Fri May 22, 2015 4:18 pm

daniele851 wrote:I'm waiting an hack for Nikon d7100 since 2 years, but after many discuss in internet about announcement nothing happened, Nikon d7100 is a great camera so, why the hack is avaible only for the d7000?, i saw the list about the compatible devices, but nor in the patch 1.03 nor in 1.04 is compatible for nikon d7100, my question is : Why? What is the decision to exclude this model? I'm not here to pretend but to understand, after too many money spent to buy a Dlsr like this, and see the d7000 and the others have been unlocked, make me very sad, i don't want sell it for have a Canon, because i don't like that quality, i was hoping the one day waiting 1 or 2 years finally will happen but no way, thank you for your answers.


The reason is very simple:
1. All of the core devs have D7000/D5100/D3100 when this project started. These 3 camera uses the same set of hardware and code base. Thus hardware and software analysis collaboration became very straightforward. Non of us had a D7100 or later generation DSLR.
2. Since D7100/D5200, Nikon completely changes its processor architecture from FR80 to ARM, and code base from C to C++. The 2 major changes made a huge difference on compiled assembly code. All the basic reverse engineering had to be redone, and it took 4 people nearly 3 years to do on D5100. Now we don't have that many people working the assembly code anymore. And leegong is still working on the most difficult problem of all, the RAW video, which apparently have a better chance to succeed on D5100 due to existing knowledge on hardware and software. All the work in D5100/D7000 can be extended to D800/D600 generation or older D300 is also due to the same processor, similar operating system.

As such, it's not feasible to port patch from FR80 generation DSLR to the new ones, not even this dark current tool for astrophotography as it depends heavily on the processor hardware.

If you really want features, my suggestion will be to trade in for Canon, or for a D800/D600 and anything not with ARM EXPEED.
User avatar
astronomer
Developer
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:06 am
Location: US
Been thanked: 291 times

Re: Nikon Patch 1.20.4

Postby VLADISLAVOVNA » Tue May 26, 2015 11:22 am

Nikon D5200 has Expeed 3 FR not ARM processor.Nikon 1 series has Expeed 3 ARM processor.
VLADISLAVOVNA
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 11:19 am
Been thanked: 0 time

Next

Return to Firmware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests