Dark Current Enable Tool

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Re: Dark Current Enable Tool

Postby astronomer » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:38 pm

I don't remember if the permanent patch lower the bias level for proper preview. You might need give it a try.
astronomer
Developer

Postby astronomer » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:57 am

I've taken a look at the code.

The dark current permanent patch includes the lowered bias value.
astronomer
Developer

Postby yutor » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Yes, the permanent patch sets bias @ ~124ADU.
So, as far as I understand, it's in all aspects equivalent to the menu based one, right?

And I can use permanent patch just to prevent errors like "Oh, I forgot to turn menu based dark current ON after reload of the camera at the middle of the night!" :)

Thanks a lot!
yutor

Re: Dark Current Enable Tool - D800E

Postby jbeyer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:47 pm

I've used this tool a number of times for astrophotography with my D800E and in all the stacked images there is marked vertical banding that is not present when the tool is not used. The banding cannot be removed even with bias calibration (using Pixinsight Masterbias or Superbias stacks - approx 225 frames/stack). I have not seen this problem reported by D800 users and am curious if any other D800E users have seen the same thing. The differences between the D800 and the D800E at the physical level are quite minimal relating to the absence of the anti-aliasing filter in the latter. However, Nikon does supply a separate firmware for the D800E. The D800 firmware is not recognized and cannot be uploaded by the D800E. I'm wondering if this plays into the problem at some level.
jbeyer

Re: Dark Current Enable Tool - D800E

Postby astronomer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:32 pm

jbeyer wrote:I've used this tool a number of times for astrophotography with my D800E and in all the stacked images there is marked vertical banding that is not present when the tool is not used. The banding cannot be removed even with bias calibration (using Pixinsight Masterbias or Superbias stacks - approx 225 frames/stack). I have not seen this problem reported by D800 users and am curious if any other D800E users have seen the same thing. The differences between the D800 and the D800E at the physical level are quite minimal relating to the absence of the anti-aliasing filter in the latter. However, Nikon does supply a separate firmware for the D800E. The D800 firmware is not recognized and cannot be uploaded by the D800E. I'm wondering if this plays into the problem at some level.

Hi,

Can you submit your master bias and master dark somewhere so I could take a look? Which software did you use for stacking?
astronomer
Developer

Postby jbeyer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks for taking a look at these for me. The first link is a screen shot with the banding problem I described.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By0EPP ... sp=sharing

All files were stacked and processed using Pixinsight

Master Bias - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By0EPP ... sp=sharing

Super Bias (SuperBias process) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By0EPP ... sp=sharing

Master Dark - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By0EPP ... sp=sharing
jbeyer

Postby astronomer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:33 pm

Unfortunately, I cannot open the xisf format you gave. I only have pixinsight LE. The software is too expensive.

Did the problem exist in the original bias, dark or light frame?
astronomer
Developer

Postby jbeyer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:55 am

I have not seen the same problem when images have been taken without activating the dark current tool. I can resave the images in FITS format if that's a workable format for you.
jbeyer

Postby astronomer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:49 am

jbeyer wrote:I have not seen the same problem when images have been taken without activating the dark current tool. I can resave the images in FITS format if that's a workable format for you.

It's better to assess the original files. A lot of calibration pipeline is not well suited to scientific level RAW file.
I've seen DSS not working well with calibration. MaxIM DL works well. I'm not familiar with PixInsight.

If you are familiar with programming, grab my R code on github and modify the region definition. Then stack the calibrated images with whatever software you prefer.
astronomer
Developer

Postby jbeyer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:10 pm

Ah, way beyond my expertise. I still have all the RAW images. Could restack and save as FITS in Pixinsight or another Mac program if it comes without cost. Honestly not looking to make much of a monetary investment in trying to solve this since the subs and stacked images look quite good when taken with the native settings.
jbeyer

PreviousNext

Return to Firmware