Dark Current Enable Tool

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Re: Dark Current Enable Tool

Postby astronomer » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:18 am

alescx wrote:Hi astronomer,

I tried to decode the firmware of the D610, but I don't get any result. Just blank windows.. Any suggestions?

What do you mean by decode? The firmware is encrypted using triple 256 XOR mask. Use the emulator tool to decrypt and unpack into Firmware A/B before doing analysis.
astronomer
Developer

Postby alescx » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:29 pm

astronomer wrote:
alescx wrote:Hi astronomer,

I tried to decode the firmware of the D610, but I don't get any result. Just blank windows.. Any suggestions?

What do you mean by decode? The firmware is encrypted using triple 256 XOR mask. Use the emulator tool to decrypt and unpack into Firmware A/B before doing analysis.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself correctly. I did what you suggested above. Got two files after I decoded the firmware: "a1310_010100.bin" & "b1310_101.bin", after which I load them in the emulator I get two blank windows with a green message in the lower part of both windows saying: "Run session in progress..."
See the pic attached.

I am no developer, but I would like to give it a try and see what is inside.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
alescx

Postby Vicne » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:28 am

[This seems completely off-topic]
Hi,

I am not sure what your question is, really.

Your question was about "Decoding". That is the first step, where the encrypted firware bundle is decrypted. That seems to work if you have "a1310_010100.bin" & "b1310_101.bin"

The second step could be "Disassembling", but the D610 has different chips from what the Emulator supports (particularly the Expeed), so I don't expect any easy result. The emulator also requires a text config file where (at the very least) sections of the firmware to disassemble are declared (these are the files in the "conf" subdir).

Finally, a third step would be "Emulating" (what you tried by pressing the play button), but the current state of the Emulator is only able to emulate a D5100, and just barely enough to make it boot.

To summarize, if you want to work on the D610, experience in assembly language on different architectures is required, and then you might find some information useful from the disassembly. Otherwise, I think it's better just to forget about it.

If you just want to learn, great ! But then I advise you to stick to the D5100 first, and start by reading the "Firmware Information" section on the Wiki, : wiki/Main_Page#Firmware_information

Best regards,

Vicne
Vicne
Core Developer

Postby alescx » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:49 am

Vicne wrote:[This seems completely off-topic]
Hi,

I am not sure what your question is, really.

Your question was about "Decoding". That is the first step, where the encrypted firware bundle is decrypted. That seems to work if you have "a1310_010100.bin" & "b1310_101.bin"

The second step could be "Disassembling", but the D610 has different chips from what the Emulator supports (particularly the Expeed), so I don't expect any easy result. The emulator also requires a text config file where (at the very least) sections of the firmware to disassemble are declared (these are the files in the "conf" subdir).

Finally, a third step would be "Emulating" (what you tried by pressing the play button), but the current state of the Emulator is only able to emulate a D5100, and just barely enough to make it boot.

To summarize, if you want to work on the D610, experience in assembly language on different architectures is required, and then you might find some information useful from the disassembly. Otherwise, I think it's better just to forget about it.

If you just want to learn, great ! But then I advise you to stick to the D5100 first, and start by reading the "Firmware Information" section on the Wiki, : wiki/Main_Page#Firmware_information

Best regards,

Vicne

Many thanks for the clarification!
I didn't want to go off-topic. I just wanted to understand how this works. I will document myself further.

Best,
Alex
alescx

Postby Sralutan83 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:59 pm

A new opportunities for my beloved D3300 ?? Please for any information regards.
Sralutan83

Postby Gilbert » Tue May 03, 2016 8:44 pm

Is this tool a picture quality improvement? Because it is not completely clear to me what i must aspect from this.
Did somebody made example pictures with it?
Gilbert

Postby aliensporebomb » Wed May 25, 2016 12:22 pm

Gilbert, as described by astronomer in the first post "this is used for scientific imaging and astrophotography where sensor raw is required".

If you're not shooting astrophotographer or scientific shooting this is probably not going to improve your portrait photos of the kiddies.

See here for more information:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2195
aliensporebomb

Postby yutor » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi astronomer and community,
I've converted my Nikon D7000 to D7000a by replacing the filter a couple of weeks ago.

The question is:
there are two options available to get "pure RAW" from Nikon D7000:
- get firmware patched with online patch tool by Simeon ("Disable Nikon Star Eater" + permanent or menu-based "True Dark Current", 2 choices in reality);
- use transient "Dark Current Enable Tool", discussed in this thread, that requires notebook to hack the switched ON DSLR.

I'm curious why "pure RAW" from these 2 options (or 3 if we will count permanent or menu-based one from patched firmware) are different?

Image dimensions are different (Ok, there are 3 sizes that differs - full, image, output).

Black point (close to which the bias is situated) is different - it's ~600 ADU for 14 bit for "Dark Current Enable Tool" and ~124 ADU for both ways of patching via online patch tool.

Is it intended?
It's just constant delta that doesn't make any difference in abiliity to make full calibration of frames?

Anyway, I'm a little bit lost. :think:
Can you give me some advice please of how to avoid problems with calibration, which way of "patching" is the best to use for "pure RAW" on Nikon D7000 for atrophoto?

Thanks a lot for all your hard job in making Nikon's suitable for astrophotography! :clap:

UPD: I tried to shot some LEGO toys of my daughters :) in an almost dark room at the night with Nikon D7000a with permanent firmware patch + Samyang 135/2 @f2 .
Serie of shots was callibrated with master bias, dark and flat, then it was summed.
I see no problems or artefacts on the final sum, flat correction (that is A PROBLEM with unfair RAW of Nikon D810a at f/2) is good with D7Ka.
But ~124ADU bias instead of ~600ADU still concerns me a bit... :think:
yutor

Postby astronomer » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:45 pm

There's a lot of technical reasons behind the dimension change. But to simplify, the only way to make switchable hot pixel filter (star eater) is to use an existing Nikon service function which will co-activates full sensor data preservation. As a result, both tether and menu base will change dimension.

As for the black point, it was intentional due to the fact the JPEG preview still treats the RAW at black point equals zero with no white balance preconditioned. After applying gamma curve, the image will have a severe cyan cast to prevent any useful preview. After figuring out the sensor read noise distribution, I decide to lower the bias point to 128 so that all left tail is preserved while the mean is as low as possible. It was implemented in the D7000 and D5100 menu based patch not in the tether. I would recommend using menu based patch.
astronomer
Developer

Postby yutor » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks a lot for your answer!
astronomer wrote:I would recommend using menu based patch.

Probably, the last question - there are 2 possible options available for Nikon D7000 in the online patch tool.
"Permanent" True Dark Current and Menu based one.

D7000 1.03
Disable Nikon Star Eater
BETA - True Dark Current
BETA - True Dark Current - Menu based

You recommend the Menu based one... If I use Nikon D7000a ONLY for astrophoto - does "Menu based" make sense for me?
Does it have any advantage over the permanent patch?
yutor

PreviousNext

Return to Firmware