Dark Current Enable Tool

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Re: Dark Current Enable Tool

Postby abhoriel » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:32 pm

many thanks for the reply. I will enable the dark current menu option and NEF lossless compression!
abhoriel

Re: Dark Current-D4/DF Update - Test needed

Postby Preyr » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:32 am

astronomer wrote:
markswift wrote:Does this work on the D7100? To clarify, I presume this will have no effect on my normal photography?

No, I haven't found the register and it seems not used in any service calibration software.
No, it won't have any effect unless you are working with extreme dark and stacking images.

Hello. I have two questions.
1) Does the Tool include cropped masked pixels into file? I.e. are there masked pixels in Nikon cameras which they hide?
2) Is there any hope on that it will work on D7100?
3) Will it be significant for you if I fund myself $30 to make it happen sooner? (not too much of money but significant for me since the crash of RUR lol. Good that I bought D7100 right at the edge)

I think that D7100 has almost a stop of dynamic range in shadows hidden because of row noise and I hope on that I will cure it using information from masked columns of pixels to make it comparable to D7200.
Preyr

Re: Dark Current-D4/DF Update - Test needed

Postby astronomer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:24 am

Preyr wrote:Hello. I have two questions.
1) Does the Tool include cropped masked pixels into file? I.e. are there masked pixels in Nikon cameras which they hide?
2) Is there any hope on that it will work on D7100?
3) Will it be significant for you if I fund myself $30 to make it happen sooner? (not too much of money but significant for me since the crash of RUR lol. Good that I bought D7100 right at the edge)

I think that D7100 has almost a stop of dynamic range in shadows hidden because of row noise and I hope on that I will cure it using information from masked columns of pixels to make it comparable to D7200.

1. Yes. The black pixel works very well for accurate dark calibration due to temperature differences! And in fact, it is used then excluded by original nikon firmware. But their algorithm clips too much in EXPEED FR80.

2. Yes. There's always hope. But you need proper information like ASIC datasheet, pure brute force guessing, etc.

3. No. I wouldn't care 30 dollar because originally this was purely for hobby and I make it so other people may find it helpful. For decent paying it would be the amount needed to pay an engineer and it might not guarantee to work due to the nature of reverse engineering. I'm not going to work on D7100 unless I have more information on the ASIC/registers.
astronomer
Developer

Postby Preyr » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:29 am

Is there an article which describes your workflow in few words? Like, where do you get information about custom chips.
Preyr

Postby astronomer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:15 pm

Preyr wrote:Is there an article which describes your workflow in few words? Like, where do you get information about custom chips.

There's no workflow for hacking. Because most of these documentation are under NDA. So make multiple hypothesis, gather information from many sources and then verify and reject one by one until the end. Some documentation on similar part may provide insight on the chip you're dealing with. For example, it's impossible to find datasheet for 071, so we look at other datasheet for small format sensor for matching.
astronomer
Developer

Postby Preyr » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:44 am

Two more questions if you do not mind (slightly off topic though).

My understanding is: ASIC is black box which scans the sensor and mangles data according to registers (processing settings, in a way they are).
1) Are sets of settings stored anywhere in firmware data?
2) Is it theoretically possible for a person with much of free time to find out whether different sets of settings for different processing modes are stored in firmware image and possibly those left there for debugging purposes including those which disable leveling, scaling, cropping?
Preyr

Postby astronomer » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:50 pm

Preyr wrote:1) Are sets of settings stored anywhere in firmware data?

Yes, there's a default table of register on firmware side. Then there's an altered version stored somewhere else on the main flash keeping the calibrated ones.

Preyr wrote:2) Is it theoretically possible for a person with much of free time to find out whether different sets of settings for different processing modes are stored in firmware image and possibly those left there for debugging purposes including those which disable leveling, scaling, cropping?

I think Nikon striped all the debugging codes from the firmware because we didn't find any. Yes it's possible but I guess understanding the firmware first should greatly reduce the area of search.
astronomer
Developer

Postby Preyr » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:13 am

Thank you for your answers.

Is the dump of version 1.00 of D7100 firmware available? Is ITRON OS or other OS of some kind related to D7100?
Preyr

Postby astronomer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:30 am

Preyr wrote:Thank you for your answers.

Is the dump of version 1.00 of D7100 firmware available? Is ITRON OS or other OS of some kind related to D7100?

Fujitsu SDK all use ITRON. We can't provide dump version publicly due to copyright issue. Anyway, you can decode an update firmware using the existing emulator tools.
astronomer
Developer

Postby alescx » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:38 pm

Hi astronomer,

I tried to decode the firmware of the D610, but I don't get any result. Just blank windows.. Any suggestions?
alescx

PreviousNext

Return to Firmware