Getting RAW Video

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Re: Getting RAW Video

Postby hamed » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:23 am

@leegong
Hi, my question maybe seems silly.
I love to join but now I need more knowledge and hard work. my question is technical and I know by 99% it is not possible. if it was possible guys here and in magic lantern project would implemented that!! but I want to know WHY?. I am reading a book about ARM structure and ARM assembly but no knowledge of the nikon internals. and the question:
since the compressing is caveat for dslr RAW video, why is not possible to do a default in camera NEF compression. I mean that the nikon dslrs are capable of processing 5-6 of 24 mega pixel images, thus they can process about 120 mega pixels in a second to nef files. they have a dedicated hardware. is it possible to send 2 MP raw frames to the in camera nef workflow. 24 frames X 2 Mp each ~ 50 Mp processing data and this is way smaller than the photo raw workflow. in this workflow raw video is the 2Mp nef files for every frame that easily can be converted to DNG.

I repeat that I know if it was possible you wold implemented this! I asked this to extend my knowledge about the nikon internals.
Sorry if my question seems very silly!!
and sorry for my english!!
hamed

Postby leegong » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:24 am

@hamed ,
The key issue for raw video hacking now isn't compressing itslef , the point is how to get raw video without
breaking normal progress of video stream processing , see my explaination here.
Regarding your question on NEF compression , i have found the code in firmware compress NEF size about 2MB ,
so it's possible to refer to these codes implementing what you mentioned above , i even guess these codes are raw video backdoor in nikon firmware ,
i have been tracing them to find out how to activate this backdoor .
leegong
Core Developer

Postby rafaelniess » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:15 pm

What if instead of trying to RAW Video , could a better codec that .h264 ? It's possible?
rafaelniess

Postby Simeon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:22 pm

Simeon
Core Developer

Postby rafaelniess » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:32 am

rafaelniess

Postby Diegoureva12 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:03 pm

Hola soy Diego de Costa Rica he leido todo el post, realmente son unos genios muchas gracias por su esfuerzo y su tiempo. Conseguir video raw en nikon seria un logro increíble espero q puedan lograrlo. Aun continúan con este proyecto?
Diegoureva12

Postby devencurveball » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:04 pm

Question, I realize that is not nearly as convent, but wouldn't we be able to use something like the black magic intensity shuttle and record the uncompressed 1o bit sensor image through HDMI into a laptop for the $150ish price tag? Wondering about the D3100 personally, doesn't seem like the way Nikon has given the developers a lock information is helping solve raw video otherwise. Am i wrong in my theory? ah the search for raw video damn you magic lantern
devencurveball

Postby Sandco » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:54 pm

I record to atomos external recorder over HDMI with d5100 not sure if 3000 series works the same but it looks good enough for web uploads.
Sandco

Postby hamed » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:54 pm

hamed

Postby hamed » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:32 am

@leegong
is there any new news?!!
this topic was very active in near past. we know that this is a very very hard work to access raw video. so we all appreciate your work and all of the Nikon users thank you. please share your achievements and maybe problems.
the raw video on nikons undoubtedly is the most important event in dslr video world.

some questions:
Do you think the LV raw is recognizable by external recorders like Atomos ninja?
from other topics it seems that you began working on other new models like d810 and d7200. is it because of the raw video hack?
hamed

PreviousNext

Return to Firmware