Clean HDMI Output D5100

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Re: Clean HDMI Output D5100

Postby Simeon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:21 pm

PatF wrote:Please say there is code for uncompressed HDMI output... That would make this camera a monster for video.

"there is code for uncompressed HDMI output" wow, my camera just grew horns and now is a "monster" grrrr!! wow would it's be great if it was as simple as just saying it. You would have to be careful of what you said...

Actually I'm clueless to the nature of the HDMI output, what I'm currently looking at is just not drawing the on screen text/symbol. So if the current video is compressed, if what I'm trying to do, then it will still be compressed...
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby PatF » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:29 pm

Ah, okay. I took it as you having control over the HDMI output completely. It's hard to wrap my head around how such a low level OS works I guess. I live in a world of xml with layers and layers of software. Even having a clean screen would be nice for an external monitor for video. Thank you for your time and effort sir.
PatF

Postby matt » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:57 am

Simeon, you're a legend. Your (and others') perseverance with this project is inspiring. Keep up the good work :) Just one question, do you have any idea if the HDMI output for LiveView is even full res? Because I know from experimenting with the Nikon SDK that the "LiveView-over-USB" feature found in Camera Control Pro and so on is actually just repetitively grabbing frames from the LCD's framebuffer, meaning the resolution max's out at 640x426. For some reason in the past I had a suspicion that the HDMI LV output might be similar; actually an upscaled framebuffer feed (hence why no audio also). Ironically, a quick test with my D7000 could probably help me confirm or dispel the theory, but alas my only mini-HDMI cable appears to be broken :cry:
matt

Postby Simeon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:42 am

Hi Matt,

I don't know, not much of a video guy myself. It's not a direct copy of the display, as the display turned off while (the D5100) is using HDMI. But looking at the code the framebuffer used for UI symbols is 1920x1080, where the display is just 640x480. But as for the speed or quality of the output I'm also not sure.

My understanding are there are two usages of a clean HDMI output, clean monitor and recording. So I'm trying to please the first crowed, as I think it should be possible, and the latter crowd has a no worse system than they currently have....
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby RobH » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:27 am

Hi im very excited about that topic. i just wanted to ast if there are any further improovements?
:text-thankyoublue:
RobH
RobH

Postby Simeon » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Not news to report, as while I found HDMI functions as I tried to understanding them better, the code got very interwoven, and I moved onto other topics that needed focus, and have not returned this this work.
Simeon
Core Developer

Postby leegong » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:37 am

Simeon , could the camera display pics or video on both HDMI and LCD at same time ?
if true , is the special icon for HDMI displayed on the LCD also ?
EDIT : i mean if the special icon is displayed on LCD , i don't have to monitor HDMI buffer ,
just concentrate on ScreenEmultor .
leegong
Core Developer

Postby coderat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:36 am

leegong wrote:EDIT : i mean if the special icon is displayed on LCD , i don't have to monitor HDMI buffer ,
just concentrate on ScreenEmultor .

In fact pictures on LCD and HDMI differ. LiveView picture on HDMI has lower width and height, like you see here http://nikonhacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=174

EDIT: LiveView picture on LCD fills the whole width of LCD, just height is restricted. So actually 2 targets: LiveView picture must scale to fill the whole 1920x1080 and remove icons & Co.

Best regards,
coderat
coderat
Core Developer

Postby leegong » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:17 am

coderat wrote:In fact pictures on LCD and HDMI differ. LiveView picture on HDMI has lower width and height, like you see here http://nikonhacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=174

Maybe you don't understand me , i just wonder if the special HDMI icon is displayed on LCD also when both of LCD and HDMI are active (If could ) ,
it may help me to guess the possibility of how the icon gets displayed , then try to find out it and remove it for clean HDMI output.

Best regards,
Leegong
leegong
Core Developer

Postby coderat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:46 am

leegong wrote:when both of LCD and HDMI are active (If could )

You can't see both pictures LCD and HDMI on D7000. Only one output source: plugin HDMI and LCD goes off.

Best regards,
coderat
coderat
Core Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Firmware