D5100 Manual Control In Liveview

All things embedded.
*NO FEATURE REQUESTS*

Re: D5100 Manual Control In Liveview

Postby nikanth » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:04 am

coderat wrote:
nikanth wrote:But how can one shoot in shutter speed slower than video FPS would allow?

I am afraid at the moment only photo timer mode can be used.
Or does this reduce the frame-rate of the video?

You can't set shutter slower as 1/30s in D5100/D7000 in video mode.

Best regards,
coderat

Oh.. but the youtube video shows shutter speed going below 1/30.
Just checked the video again, the exposure doesn't change while going below 1/30.

Thanks
nikanth

Postby Benna » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:45 am

4cc3ss wrote:I've packed the firmware with winrar, so just unpack with chosen software and place D5100_0101.bin on SDcard and update firmware as usual.
The firmware is also patched with battery AUC & video restriction, Once installed have fun! :)
Please post your feedback.

Best Regards,
4cc3ss

Hi 4cc3ss, first of all HI EVERYBODY, i'm here due to the enphasys of this news on every technology site out there.
I've recently upgraded my D5100 to the latest ofifcial firmware delivered by NIKON, 1.02 that in the release note they say there's an improvement in the battery management.
Now, i would like to upgrade to your custom firmware using simeon online patcher but also not loosing battery improvements of the 1.02 official release.

For what i understand, the online patcher would not accept 1.02 nikon firmware to be patched, but just 1.01, is this correct?
If above statement is true, patching the original 1.01 nikon firmware will result in loosing battery management improvements?

Maybe these are silly questions but is the first time i patch my camera with a custom firmware and i'm pretty scared :)
Benna

Postby peeceeuk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:18 am

Hi.
I went through exactly the same headache. Fortunately it wasn't a long lived headache and was easy to cure.
Check the discussion I had in the patch thread.
It is really easy to do and has had no adverse effect for me.
peeceeuk

Postby Benna » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:57 am

peeceeuk wrote:Hi.
I went through exactly the same headache. Fortunately it wasn't a long lived headache and was easy to cure.
Check the discussion I had in the patch thread.
It is really easy to do and has had no adverse effect for me.

Ok peeceeuk, seen your post, thanks.
Benna

Postby 4cc3ss » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:08 am

Benna wrote:
Hi 4cc3ss, first of all HI EVERYBODY, i'm here due to the enphasys of this news on every technology site out there.
I've recently upgraded my D5100 to the latest ofifcial firmware delivered by NIKON, 1.02 that in the release note they say there's an improvement in the battery management.
Now, i would like to upgrade to your custom firmware using simeon online patcher but also not loosing battery improvements of the 1.02 official release.

For what i understand, the online patcher would not accept 1.02 nikon firmware to be patched, but just 1.01, is this correct?
If above statement is true, patching the original 1.01 nikon firmware will result in loosing battery management improvements?

Maybe these are silly questions but is the first time i patch my camera with a custom firmware and i'm pretty scared :)

Hi Benna,

The official Nikon Firmware 1.02 gives improvement over EN-EL14a battery not EN-EL14, so unless you have this 'a' battery 1.02 FW is pointless.

Nikon Article.
The remaining battery charge is now accurately detected for Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL14a.
With A firmware ver. 1.01/B firmware ver. 1.01 or earlier, the number of images that can be captured (battery life) when an EN-EL14a is used is less than when an EN-EL14 is used. By upgrading A firmware to ver. 1.02 and B firmware to ver. 1.01, EN-EL14a performance is maximized so that more images can be captured (battery life) than when an EN-EL14 is used.

If you're not sure just ask, nothing silly about that. :)

Best regards
4cc3ss
4cc3ss

Postby Benna » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:26 am

Just performed the upgrade, everything went smooth and i can use new features. Awesome :)
I've checked my battery and is EN-EL14.

Looking forword for new features of this beautifull reflex.

Thanks again!
Benna

Postby fever003 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Hi,

I've just flashed this feature.

Thank you so much. It is much better in terms of control.

However, I have a question.

The original firmware, it will automatically change the exposure and light gain. For example if I point the camera to somewhere dark it will boost the light which causes noise.

In this new feature, it doesnt do that anymore.

So the challenge I am facing now is recording video outdoor in bright sunny day. I have to use ISO 100, shutter speed 1/50(24fps), and aperture of F11 and above to correctly expose the video. Is this correct? Because if I use F2.8, I won't be able to do shallow depth of field because the video will be over exposed, all white.

Hope to hear from you soon.
fever003

Postby astronomer » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:04 pm

fever003 wrote:Hi,

I've just flashed this feature.

Thank you so much. It is much better in terms of control.

However, I have a question.

The original firmware, it will automatically change the exposure and light gain. For example if I point the camera to somewhere dark it will boost the light which causes noise.

In this new feature, it doesnt do that anymore.

So the challenge I am facing now is recording video outdoor in bright sunny day. I have to use ISO 100, shutter speed 1/50(24fps), and aperture of F11 and above to correctly expose the video. Is this correct? Because if I use F2.8, I won't be able to do shallow depth of field because the video will be over exposed, all white.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Well, if you really need to enforce 90° shutter, then the only way is to vary the aperture and ISO. Since ISO has its lower limit and in order to achieve a desired DoF, I would suggest variable ND filter.
astronomer
Developer

Postby fever003 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks for the reply.

So, this means that the old "auto exposure" is disabled? Because normally I will point the camera wherever I want until I get the perfect exposure, then I will lock the exposure with the AE-L.
fever003

Postby coderat » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:42 pm

fever003 wrote:So, this means that the old "auto exposure" is disabled?

Yes. It is exactly same behaviour as D7000 (described in manual).
Because normally I will point the camera wherever I want until I get the perfect exposure, then I will lock the exposure with the AE-L.

If you want to have this then you should not select "Manual ISO/Shutter patch in LiveView".

EDIT:
Because if I use F2.8, I won't be able to do shallow depth of field because the video will be over exposed, all white.

I think you should split this sentence, because doesn't make sense in my eyes:
- DOF has nothing to do with "all white"
So why don't you reduce shutter to 1/4000 ?

If you need f/11 (because want to have very big DOF) then you must set high ISO and if necessary reduce noise in postprocessing. May be my answer is wrong, but your post sounds strange to me.

Best regards,
coderat
coderat
Core Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Firmware